Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! I need input on my first lift!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
StaldineJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
StaldineJ's Tacoma Gallery
Help! I need input on my first lift!!!

I am looking into lifting my 99 x-cab 4x4 sr5 2.7 liter, not a lot, just a little. My wife always has teased about it being a "cute little truck", until the day the factory bug guard was broken and taken off - now she thinks it looks like a 2wd tacoma . No offense to you guys out there with the non PreRunner 2wd five luggers, just not my style.

I'm a college kid, almost done - so money isn't always readily available. Recently the Tacoma came out of gear (not pointing fingers as to who the last person driving it was ) hit a dumpster and scraped up the whole passenger side. We got $3800 in settlement with the insurance company. My better half and I agreed that I'd use half the settlement to fix my beloved little tacoma up the way I'd like to, and half to pay back some unsubsidized loans racking up interest. I did the body work myself, it came out A LOT better than I thought, got a hookup for the paint, and basically have a fair amount to do as I see fit... including a spray in bedliner.

I scored a set of Toytec 2" spacers for dirt cheap, and am upgrading to Bilsteins for the front shocks/struts. I'm also thinking about getting the ICON add-a-leaf mini spring packs for the back. That should level the truck out front to back, and I'm hoping increase the payload capacity a little bit. The rear shocks were replaced about a year ago - cheap-o KYB CarQuest shocks, would I need extended shocks for the 1.5" lift in the rear? Or could I get away with standard length Bilsteins?

Along those lines, will I need the front differential drop spacers to accomodate the 2" front lift?

Thanks for your input!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaldineJ View Post
non PreRunner 2wd

what..prerunners are 2wd...anyway you'll be fine in back without extending the brake lines
Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
StaldineJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
StaldineJ's Tacoma Gallery
Lol, Pre-Runners are all good... it's those ass-dragging five lugged low rider trucks I'm not a fan of... Actually I'm thinking my next truck might be a double cab Pre-Runner.

extended brake lines I hadn't even thought of that!!!

The whole process is a little more complicated than I thought at first. It'll be worth it in the end though, I hope. I'll keep this little truck until the wheels fall off, I figure it should make it to 200 - 250k no problem, which makes the truck middle aged.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
or sorry i mis-read your post..saw extended and jumped to a conclusion. you don't need extended shocks either, only if you plan on flexing the hell out of your rig