1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Bilsteins finally came in and I've got them on, but I've got a couple ?'s

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zeeya2000, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 [OP] Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    yay my 5100 adjustable billies are finally on, ive waited almost three months b/c of the national back-order. but i have two questions......

here are some pictures:

-this is with the shocks set for a 2" lift (front)-
    [​IMG]

-when i was looking around under my truck fooling with trying to install the 1.5" lift on it i saw this on the backside of my rear axle... what is it????-
    [​IMG]

- and finally in this picture it shows the emergency brake line on top of my leaf springs(very close). so when i tried just to set the 1.5" block on top of my leaf springs the emergency brake cable is in the way. how do i go about solving this problem??? i need help...-
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
  3. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    THe first pic is your Brake Proportioning actuator. You could probably make a braket to move the parking brake cable a couple inches.

4. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    okay how would you move it without obstructing or defeating its purpose

5. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The brake proportioning assebly can be raised with a peice of flat steel.

6. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    In the second pic, that's the BPV (brake proportioning valve). It's designed to compensate for rear braking when there's a load in you bed or on the back of the truck when towing.

Don't mess around with the adjuster. Measure what your height is now from the center of the hub to the fender/flare. After you lift the rear, measure again. However much you lifted it is how much you should extend it by making a bracket.

There's a few places that sell extended brackets already but only in certain sizes. I believe Beefed Taco makes one with a multiple holes for different lengths.

The last pic, that's not close, you should see mine with a Deaver 8 pack. You can bend the brackets forward a bit to give you a bit more clearance. But if your putting on blocks then you'd probably have to make extensions for them too. depending on how much you extend the brackets you may have to readjust the e-brake cable and/or get a longer one made for at least the driver side. I think it was in late 02 (for 03 models) they changed it & the cable runs under the leafs.

I say forget making extension or longer e-brake cable, ditch them blocks & do it the right way, new leaf pack or at least an add-a-leaf. If that's not an option it's probably better to go with a lift shackle than the block.

7. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    The top one would be 1" or 2.5". Also the second picture is the brake proportioning valve. They sell an extender to help raise it.

8. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Forgot to add, while your at it in the rear, if your lifting, you should throw on an extended brake line too.

9. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    okay so the BPV i will have to make an extension for and the Emergency brake line i will have to extend also.....

10. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    even if im only going up 1.5" ????

11. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
  12. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    If your truck will never see off road then you'll probably be cool. But once the rear wheels are off the ground with a lift, at full droop you might be over extending that cable. Well it is rubber but I wouldn't be comfortable having it strech at all.

After you throw on the lift in the rear, raise the rear wheels off the ground using jack stand & not by lifting under the pumpking so the rear end hangs, then take a look at the rear brake cable. Chances are it won't look good.

A rubber extension from Wheelers is only $20. I'd recommend the $35 one that is steel braded & is what I got which is made by Goodridge.

13. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Sheesh, have a little patience, IMO you got plenty of quick & helpful replies within a 1/2 of your post. On other forums you'd be lucky if you get one in a day or two. ;)

Good luck with the install & let us know how it turns out.

14. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner

you are definitely right about that, but i was just bumping it up the new posts list. thanks for the help man and i will definitely keep this thread updated until its all said and done

15. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    99tacosupreme

99tacosupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1999 Black V6 PreRunner TRD
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    Make sure to post some before and after pics.

16. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    i will post pictures of what i did underneath to solve the problem and i will post before and after pictures of the lift

17. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  18. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    :yay:i know right...

19. Aug 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    okay guys i was pondering on what options i have to work with.
    i thought would it be possible to disconnect the emergency brake line install the block lift and then run the line underneath the leaf springs and reconnect it?????????
    is this possible? or is it a really stupid idea.

and also on my drivers side front coil spring, after installing the new shocks i found that the top two coils were sitting on each other (which probably means that they are old and weak and i will have to buy new ones?) :rant:

20. Aug 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    or option B would be to loosen(a little) the emergency brake line install the block lift and let it (not tightly and not loosely) lay over the leaf springs. where it would be laying over the leaf springs i would cut a piece of rubber hosing or tubing and put around the cable to protect it from rubbing. and also make a bracket to raise the BPV

Products Discussed in

To Top