Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SCORE !!!!!! Dash rattle found and solved

Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
rico334 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
rico334's Tacoma Gallery
SCORE !!!!!! Dash rattle found and solved

I posted a couple days ago about my dash rattle on the passenger side. Thinking it was my airbag, and about being at wit's end trying to find the source of what was rattling, I had just about moved to my thoughts of filling the dash area around the airbag full of liquid expandable foam.

Before going that far, this morning I went to Walmart and bought two foam bed pillows. I removed the glove box and the metal assembly above that, cut chunks of pillow up and crammed every available space I could cram with foam pillow. Went for a drive and still did not fix it. Tore the side panel off, filled it full of foam pillow, tore the door panel off and filled it full ........ still rattles.

I was pissed off by this point, put it all back together and said to hell with it. Got everything back together and just happened to look under the dash and push on a black object and you guessed it ...... there is my rattle.

What and where to look :

Passenger side floor board, you'll have to get down on your knees with the passenger door open. With the glove box closed and directly behind it, there is a round black motor that is mounted facing up. There are (3) 8mm screws that this motor is held with. All 3 screws had backed off about 2 turns which allowed the whole motor to rattle everytime a bump was hit. Snugged them up and no more rattle !!!!!

Hope this helps those who posted to my other thread to help locate and fix your rattle too.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Did you return the pillows then ?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
In over my head...
james has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant future

Army: P.O.L.
james's Tacoma Gallery
thank you...now I'll know.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Hillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of light

Hillbilly Zombi's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Thats great useful information!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
congrats to solving a terribly annoying problem
Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
LOL!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico334 View Post
What and where to look :

Passenger side floor board, you'll have to get down on your knees with the passenger door open. With the glove box closed and directly behind it, there is a round black motor that is mounted facing up. There are (3) 8mm screws that this motor is held with. All 3 screws had backed off about 2 turns which allowed the whole motor to rattle everytime a bump was hit. Snugged them up and no more rattle !!!!!

Hope this helps those who posted to my other thread to help locate and fix your rattle too.
Pretty sure that's your fan blower
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
well my dash noise must be completely unrelated to yours. Mine only rattles in hot weather. And the sound is from much higher in the dash.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
Wal-Mart will honestly take anything back... I would return the pillows... No Joke...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
rico334 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
rico334's Tacoma Gallery
I'm afraid I defeated Walmarts "take anything back" policy due to both pillows being in about 100 pieces and completely stuffing every nook and cranny under my dash. With my rattle fixed by tightening the blower fan, I guarantee there won't be anything under dash rattling with all the pillow chunks I've got stuffed up there....
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Tell them you were trying to make them more comfortable and no matter what you Tried... they were still uncomfortable... They WILL take them back... then your out nothing.