Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project

Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
wndrboy777 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 467
wndrboy777's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project

Currently trying to install a 3" lift - from coilovers went on easy, but the rear has been one huge frustration after another. I'm currently stuck - I have the new leafs on (finally), but now that I'm trying to install the new shock absorbers (Bilstein 5125), I can't get them on... The rubber bushing will insert on to the shock mount, and I can get it into the shock ok, but when the bushing is inside of the shock, it will not slide onto the mount. I tried putting the busing on the mount, then pulling the shock over it - no joy. I also force one with the bolt and a large washer, and now it's completely stuck - I can't get it to progress and I can't get it to come off. I decided to leave it and go to the other side, but I can't get it on. This is driving me nuts - any help would be huge.

Stuck bushing/shock - lower mount post passenger side
Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project-img_1429.jpg

Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project-img_1430.jpg

Lower mount post driver's side
Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project-img_1431.jpg

Upper mount post driver's side
Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project-img_1432.jpg

Need Help - I'm stuck on a lift project-img_1433.jpg
Old 08-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
bump for a expert......
Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
I had to lube mine I don't reacall for sure b ut I think I put a bit odf wd40 to help slid them in
Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
take a look here - it may help you...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oma-mount.html
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try sanding them down a bit, clean them, them get some lube on them.
Mine were a biatch too. But It just needed some lube.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
SPOTSONTROUT is on a distinguished road

Name: ROB
SPOTSONTROUT's Tacoma Gallery
Use a little bit of dish soap . Should slide right on.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Maybe try sanding them down a bit, clean them, them get some lube on them.
Mine were a biatch too. But It just needed some lube.
^^^

Yup. Damn, that lower is rusty. I would sand that down a bit, then use a little grease (or liquid soap) to finesse them on. Put on the inner bushing first, then put the shock on, then put the outer bushing on. Don't try to hold it all together at once while trying to compress the shock...

Maybe you are already doing this, but you can also lower or raise the axle to a spot where the shock is not loaded up and easier to manipulate.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I put the bushings in the shock, lubed the bushing with soap where it slips on to the mount and then beat them on with a rubber mallet. I really had to beat on the end of the shock where the bushing goes. trying to push the bushing in to the shock will not work IMO.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRP27 View Post
I put the bushings in the shock, lubed the bushing with soap where it slips on to the mount and then beat them on with a rubber mallet. I really had to beat on the end of the shock where the bushing goes. trying to push the bushing in to the shock will not work IMO.
That's exactly why, in my write-up - I opened up the rubber bushing with a wood bit - I don't want to see a crack develop on the lower shock boss.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
A little rust on shock post, ehh leave it alone , what then after sanding it off.

Now you have bare metal unless you paint & let dry but moving on, use some Vaseline & ""thread" the bushing by hand "righty tighty" while using your mallet in even, firm taps. By threading it like a nut (or bolt ) just the action of twisting it will make the rubber contract (thus making it smaller) as you start it into place in shock eye....
Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
grind it down to knock the rust off and make sure you hit it with some rostoleam before it put the shocks on. Bushings are suppost to fit snug
X2
Grind the rust off and make the shaft smooth. you have some serious rust on the shaft.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
wndrboy777 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 467
wndrboy777's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the ideas everyone - I was able to sand a little bit of the rust off, and with some packing grease, the bushings slid right on. Lift is on, now just working on getting the bumper installed.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Super Old thread I know, but I need some advice on installing some 5125s in the rear. It seams that the bushings that came with the shocks are not the proper ID and won't fit on the mounts. It doesn't look like I'll be able to just lube up the mounts and force them on either..

Is this a viable solution --vv ... ... TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
That's exactly why, in my write-up - I opened up the rubber bushing with a wood bit - I don't want to see a crack develop on the lower shock boss.

Edit: well I said F'it and drilled them out to 3/4", figured the worst that could happen was I ruin them and have to buy new bushings..

Anyway, it worked pretty well. I put some grease on the mounts and inside the bushings, and also used an extra washer on the bolt side of each mount to make up for the difference in the shock eyes/bushings. (The previous 5100s were a bit bigger ~3/16) I think the heat generated from drilling the bushings out actually helped make the more pliable and they slid on easier
Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Here's how I did the washers

Thats fine & yeah the replacement bushings are the smaller I.D. bushings I usually drill out a little material from bushing , helps a ton..
Old 12-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Bilstein quit getting the "Big eye" OEM type for 1st gens, they may still get them for you if requested but anymore they come with the smaller,newer designed bushings...