Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying a 2003 Tacoma, help please?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
sbx22 is on a distinguished road
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a 2003 Tacoma, help please?

I have an eye on this 2003 Tacoma 4x4, black, sr5 doublecab with 3" lift and some bigger tires. It looks sick! However, it doesn't have the TRD package. What do you think? I mean, I don't do hardcore offroading or anything. They're asking $13,000, and it's from a dealership and they're non-negotiable. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbx22 View Post
I have an eye on this 2003 Tacoma 4x4, black, sr5 doublecab with 3" lift and some bigger tires. It looks sick! However, it doesn't have the TRD package. What do you think? I mean, I don't do hardcore offroading or anything. They're asking $13,000, and it's from a dealership and they're non-negotiable. Let me know what you think.
I think that it's a good deal and you should give them their 'non negotiable' asking price. Seriously man, how are we able to give you any hint of a direction without pictures or mileage? WTF
Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
So you were kidding the first part, and the second part, you're serious? I don't get it. ANYWAY, the mileage is 151,XXX. Just a little detail I left off, no biggie.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Everything is negotiable.

That is too much for 151K miles, in my opinion. I got my 2001 Xcab (see profile for spec) with 101K miles for 12, 725 from private party. 1 owner, dealer service reocords, no accidents, primo top of the line Snugtop... and Xcab v6 5 speed 4x4 TRD pull a premimum all over California...

Hope this helps...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
I think that it's a good deal and you should give them their 'non negotiable' asking price. Seriously man, how are we able to give you any hint of a direction without pictures or mileage? WTF

Dude, Lay off the guy. Can't you see he's made 9 posts, maybe he's new to the forum, just let him know it would help having pics and a little more of a description including specifics like mileage/condition. You don't need to be a douche about it!

Quote:

As for the 2003, I have a 2003 Extra Cab non TRD that I bought with under 100K Miles, I paid $16000 2 years ago and that was in Canadian $. I think $13000 sounds a little high. And FYI its tough to help anyone on here without pictures and a little detail but welcome to TW!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.hayesautos.com/inventory/.../Roseville/CA/

Here's the direct link.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you're right next door to me.

Check out the lift and see if it is a good one or a not so good one. (spacers and blocks are not good). If they say, "ooh, but it's got a lift, blah blah blah," be cool and say , "well, I don't really want a lift, I'd probably get rid of that," just to talk 'em down, if you are really that interested.

Also check craigslist for comps for all of Northern California. Oddly, I usually find quite a few around Santa Cruz/ South Bay. That's where I ended up getting mine.

Run a Carfax on that VIN, and check the comps, and ask for service records. The T-belt should have been done at 90k. It can cost more than $600 with the water pump, etc., so you should find out. These trucks seem to sell up to 2K over Kelly BB here (and lots of places across the country).

Good luck, man.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Those stock roof racks are kind of rare. I heard that you can't add them on later & need to get it with the truck since there are additional supports in the roof for them.

If your not going to do any hardcore offroading I would worry about the TRD package. Even with out lockers it's still 4x4.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
Those stock roof racks are kind of rare. I heard that you can't add them on later & need to get it with the truck since there are additional supports in the roof for them.

If your not going to do any hardcore offroading I would worry about the TRD package. Even with out lockers it's still 4x4.

Exactly, it's still 4x4 and if you really need you can always get an aftermarket locker that should preform fairly well from what I've heard, hopefully my next mod, so it's not that big of a deal but it sure is nice if you can find it!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
I've been glued to my computer for the past 2 hours. I can't find a single Tacoma worth my liking in Northern California, tons of prerunners. I want the 4x4 because I go hunting, snow maybe 1-2x/year. I thought it had a button inside that said "locker" on it? Sorry, I'm a newbie, but just love these trucks everytime I see one on the road. Plus, if I really wanted the TRD package, I just found a TRD suspension setup on craigslist like 100 mi away asking for $150. Hmm...
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

zero4's Tacoma Gallery
On the left side of the steering wheel, if it's TRD it will have a button that says Rear Locker (well not sure exactly on a 4x4 since I only have a rear). The TRD stickers on the bed could have been removed by the prev owner(s).

Don't worry about the TRD suspension, it's just the lockers you would be benefitng from the TRD package.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
I swore it had that button, I test drove it and everything. The paint looks OEM though? Or could it just be really good paint? Anyway, title is clear, no accidents from 2 checks I've run.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Too many miles. Yeah, it MIGHT go another 50-100k no problem, but it might die next week. When/if it does die, sucks to be making payments still.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Seems a little high to me. I have a very, very good condition "02" dc, trd with the 2.7. Granted it,s not a 4x4 but I have a locker in the rear and a 3 inch lift. It's black.
If you don't wheel all the time or need the 4x4, you could save a few g's and get a prerunner 2x. Throw a locker in it and your good to go. I just turned 73k on mine this week.
Keep searching, there are better deals out there.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Metal Cutter

zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I swore it had that button, I test drove it and everything. The paint looks OEM though? Or could it just be really good paint? Anyway, title is clear, no accidents from 2 checks I've run.
Are you talking about the TRD Offroad badge on the bed? It's just a decal, it can be easily removed with a heat gun without any damage to the paint. Lots of people remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Too many miles. Yeah, it MIGHT go another 50-100k no problem, but it might die next week. When/if it does die, sucks to be making payments still.
Yup, too many miles....for that price. Not MIGHT, it WILL at the least.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said, thats a lot of money for that many miles. I paid half of that for an 02 with less miles. Even including the offroad package and trd, I'm showing the blue book to be about 12k, so unless I missed something, 13k is still to high. If that is the price they're firm on, I'm sure the truck isn't going to go anywhere quick.

The lift will probably be a spacer lift, which if you just like it for looks, it'll work, but if they bring it up, you can easily tell them that the lift is only $200, if that.

If there's any questions about the lift, go take some pics of the coil springs in front, as well as the leaf springs in the rear and we can tell you pretty quick what type of lift is on it (and what its worth).

It does look like it might have actual sliders on it though (and not just side steps), so it might actually have a real lift on it as well.

If you wanted to bring the price down a little, it looks like there's a plastic bed liner in it. Inspect under it to see all the places the plastic has rubbed the paint away. If the paint is pristine under it, then either the bed liner was just put in, or the truck was recently painted.

Make sure to inspect the frame for rust. Even if its just surface rust, you might be able to talk them down considerably if they dont know much about Toyota's.

Ask them for a copy of the Carfax report. Also, if you have the VIN, you can see all the work service records that have been done at a Toyota dealer if you sign up with Toyota for Owners page (http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html) Not an indication of all work thats been done, but it will show you service records done at the dealership.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigB View Post
Dude, Lay off the guy. Can't you see he's made 9 posts, maybe he's new to the forum, just let him know it would help having pics and a little more of a description including specifics like mileage/condition. You don't need to be a douche about it!

As for the 2003, I have a 2003 Extra Cab non TRD that I bought with under 100K Miles, I paid $16000 2 years ago and that was in Canadian $. I think $13000 sounds a little high. And FYI its tough to help anyone on here without pictures and a little detail but welcome to TW!

New to a forum doesn't mean you get a common sense freebee. You're just enabling people when you don't tell them how to make a simple post.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a double cab trd prerunner with 148k for 9k cash. even with a 4x4, i think you might be paying too much for that ride. plus then you have to pay ttl i think, that just adds up.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #19

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
New to a forum doesn't mean you get a common sense freebee. You're just enabling people when you don't tell them how to make a simple post.
I think DigB has a point. You have a choice to respond, and when you do, you have a choice to respond constructively rather than abusively (with sarcasm and WTF). If folks want abuse, they can go to TTORA. Just sayin'.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I think DigB has a point. You have a choice to respond, and when you do, you have a choice to respond constructively rather than abusively (with sarcasm and WTF). If folks want abuse, they can go to TTORA. Just sayin'.
That's one reason I like this forum better than some for the Tacoma, being an A-hole seems less likely here than on some others. Clearly it still happens though...

Anyhow, back to the OP, like others said that price and miles seems kinda high, at least in my part of the country. IF that's the going rate for a tacoma in your area, go for it. Mine has 160,000 on it right now and is going strong, I fully expect to get another 50,000 at least out of it.