Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leaf Packs

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Leaf Packs

Does anyone have experience with eBay leaf packs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories

The other set I'm looking at is at Fat Bob's Garage

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/toyot...gle-p6552.aspx

Also, when buying a leaf pack, is it better to buy a stock leaf pack, then add a leaf, or just buy a leaf pack that is already lifted? I'll post pics of my leafs tomorrow to see if I really need new leaf packs, or if an aal will suffice.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know anything about eaby packs sorry but...

Buy a leaf pack that is already lifted. That is what i did i think they work better and will last longer... I have the Deaver 8 leaf pack.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the seller what brand you "would be getting". If they don't want to tell you (becuase you might find the same ones somewhere else cheaper), I wouldn't deal with them.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with Fat Bobs before I went with the ebay ones.

As far as the AAL though, thats a tough one. Fat Bob doesn't say they're adding a leaf to make the additional lift, so it might just be a more aggressive bend. If that is the case, I'd probably go with 0" and then AAL for the extra spring.

But then again, when I need to replace my springs, I plan on going completely aftermarket with something like Wheelers is selling.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
DownSouth... Icon Vehicle Dynamics 3 leaf mini pkg with new U bolts. $170.00.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I got the ebay ones... Just put them on Yesterday. Fit perfect... Not sure of the ride since the truck is not done yet... "Black Beater Build"
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do I need new Leaf Packs or will an AAL be alright?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Tough one. The front view is almost resting on the overload spring, but the rear view looks ok to me. Do you have a heavy box or something in the front of the bed or carry heavy things in the front often? Is your wheel centered in your well? Maybe the angle is just playing tricks.

If the front overload spring distance looks about like the rear view does, I think you'd be ok with an AAL. If not, I'd go with the new springs.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Tough one. The front view is almost resting on the overload spring, but the rear view looks ok to me. Do you have a heavy box or something in the front of the bed or carry heavy things in the front often? Is your wheel centered in your well? Maybe the angle is just playing tricks.

If the front overload spring distance looks about like the rear view does, I think you'd be ok with an AAL. If not, I'd go with the new springs.
Might be the weight of the shell is more concentrated in the front?

Let me take another pic

Thanks for the input though everyone

Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #11

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Based on your last pics, I think your springs look just fine. Not all that much different from new considering the extra 150lbs. When new, the springs look pretty much flat anyway, and it doesn't look like they're frowning to me, so I'd say you should be good for an AAL.

Angles and such can be a little deceptive in that manor though, so its really going to have to be up to you. If they have a negative arc, replace them. If positive arc to near flat, you're good.

If going by the FSM, the height of the center of the axle and the height of the center of the front leaf pin to the front leaf spring pin should be about 1.5" for most vehicles (assuming no lift). The specs can be found http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../sa/serdat.pdf (dont worry too much about tire size as you're just estimating anyway). See http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/insp.pdf to see where to measure. (same location on 2wd and 4wd for this measurement).

Of course this should be done with an empty bed, so take that into account, but as long as the leaf bolt is higher than the axle by half the factory height, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Based on your last pics, I think your springs look just fine. Not all that much different from new considering the extra 150lbs. When new, the springs look pretty much flat anyway, and it doesn't look like they're frowning to me, so I'd say you should be good for an AAL.

Angles and such can be a little deceptive in that manor though, so its really going to have to be up to you. If they have a negative arc, replace them. If positive arc to near flat, you're good.

If going by the FSM, the height of the center of the axle and the height of the center of the front leaf pin to the front leaf spring pin should be about 1.5" for most vehicles (assuming no lift). The specs can be found http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../sa/serdat.pdf (dont worry too much about tire size as you're just estimating anyway). See http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/insp.pdf to see where to measure. (same location on 2wd and 4wd for this measurement).

Of course this should be done with an empty bed, so take that into account, but as long as the leaf bolt is higher than the axle by half the factory height, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X2 I agree 100% springs look normal,maybe its time for some new HD shocks?