1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light Wose

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by floger70, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco, 4cyl, reg cab shorty.
    tundra front springs 3" lift chev half ton rear springs 3 inch lift magnaflow muffler cb 33" kuhmo mud terrains pioneer deck. bilstien 5100
    okay so i have a 2000 taco 2.7 from the states somewhere ( i live in nova scotia canada) 5 speed, regular cab short box yata yata yata

for the last couple months i have had a check engine code on my truck i havnt been driving it so it hasnt bothered me. but now im gearing it up for a trip with my 4 wheeler and trying to get this thing figured out

it was saying "coolant temp insufficiant". so i did some reading and at first thought of coolant temp sensor or thermostat. came to find out that apparently its comon with these trucks and you need to replace the front o2 sensor before the cat.

so today i took on that battle with the rotted bolts and so on and got it all changed for a new one from NTK. cleared the code and took it for a quick trip down the road. everything seemed to be working great.

tonight i took my gf home for a longer drive to double check everything and the engine light came back on. luckaly i had my code reader with me and pluged it in.

now its saying system to lean ( bank 1 )

im assuming this is the sensor i just replaced. you can smell it not running right and it doesnt work very good. scared to ruin something if i drive it so i parked it asap

what the heck is going on!! please help need this for my trip this week end.

brett

2. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Our trucks are very picky about the brand of O2 sensor. What brand did you put in? You pretty much want to get a Denso brand, but there was one other brand that people have had success with as well (Bosch I think, but not 100% sure - I'd get the Denso anyway). You also want the OEM style, not a universal.

Also double check that your plug connectors are nice and clean.

The other option, of course, is to get an O2 simulator, but I dont think I'd recommend that for the front one due to the computer actually using the information from it.

Although not likely, it may also be a coincidence that you're getting a P0171 now, or even an instance where the previous code wasn't allowing the new code to trigger. May want to try cleaning the MAF sensor as thats pretty much the common fix. P0171 is kinda one of those pain in the ass, could be one of 20 different things, type of codes.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    tundra front springs 3" lift chev half ton rear springs 3 inch lift magnaflow muffler cb 33" kuhmo mud terrains pioneer deck. bilstien 5100
    i have tried cleaning the maf before this and after this. and i just put a new air filter in it as well. the o2 sensor i put in it was an ntk 24554 sensor. its the only choice my local parts store had. i had to weld the flange bracket on my exhaust because the stus were rotten and wouldnt broke off and i couldnt get them out with type of screw extractor. i figure its the same thing anyway. insted of bolting the flange adapter on i just welded it and the new o2 sensor just unscrews in the middle like any o2 sensor. its way easier to change now to.

the one thing i noticed when i was plugging it in though was that the plug didnt match up and plug in corectly. the nipple things on the side were on the wrong side and didnt plug in. i had to shave them off to get it to plug in. could this be the problem also? i probably should have taken it back and still can because i know the guys there but i just thought that it might have been a mistake or because it was from the USA???

am i a total nut job here or what lol :) help me please!!

brett

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    okay so new code now. realized that the universal ntk sensor was wired wrong after looking at some schematics. anyways fixed that problem but now im back to square one iwth my original check engine light code. i was told this is was the fix but apparently wrong.

im getting a p0125 code saying:

coolant temp insufficient for closed loop fuel control

what do i need to replace or fix to get my truck fixed. i NEED it this week

any help is appreciated

thanks
    brett

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Code P0125- several things can cause this.

• Insufficient warm up time
    • Low engine coolant level
    • Leaking or stuck open thermostat
    • Faulty coolant temperature sensor
    The insufficient warm up time can be caused by a stuck thermostat. You can test the thermo by place it in hot water. The thermo should be closed when it comes out of the truck and should open when the water temp reaches approxiamately 80-84°C (176-183° F) range.

6. Aug 31, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    That is correct. The O2 sim will not work for an AFR sensor.

7. Aug 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    okay well i already replaced the front o2 and i have a new thermostat here and a new coolant temp i have here so ill try both of those and see if that helps

8. Aug 31, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    just did the thermostat and refilled with coolant and all that good stuff. still same problem so im gonna go try the coolant temp sensor now i guess

9. Aug 31, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    just changed the coolant temp sensor and its still the same code. runs good when its cold but when it gets warm it runs like crap. took it down the road to get gas and on the way home i didnt know if i was gonna make it. it kicks and bucks and just runs like crap

anyone got anymore suggestions?

10. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    DId you disconnect the neg battery cable for a few minutes? Try that once.

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    tried it just now. nothing same code. could it be the o2 sensor i just replaced be messed up?

12. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    it runs like it has a miss. big time. it doesnt have any power. even when cold now.

13. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    okay fixed lol. just went out and unpluged the ECT and the o2 and cleaned the plugs up a bitand repluged them in and disconected the battery for about 5 mins and shes workin like a top now. took it for about a 30 min drive and no issues. such a dumb thing to work since i already did it. maybe it didnt like it the first time. haha

anyways thanks for all the help and patients guys. really appreciated

brett

14. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
  15. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    I lied. It's back. Just tried to leave to go Down the road. Didn't even get 2 mins and check engine light again. Any ideas now? Lol

16. Aug 31, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Is it still the temp sensor code?

17. Aug 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

thats the exact code it says. im soooooo frustrated with this silly truck. i called toyota and they said all they can do is a diagnostic and tell me the code then look to find the problem they wanted 100 bucks to do that and i already know what it says but they wont skip that so i got mad and hung up. they wouldn't let me talk to a tech or anything. all the other shops for imports are swamped or closed right now and i am busy all week and have no time to fix it but need it for Friday so i had to take it to the shop down the road. there usually pretty good and i know them but its just so frustrating i couldn't figure it out and i tried everything!!!

ill let you know what they call and tell me tomorrow. hopefully its not to expensive :S

is there anything else i should try if they give it back to me and its in the same state?

thanks
    brett

18. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    According to the FSM, which is exactly what the dealer will use to diagnose the problem, here is the steps to diagnose P0125 for your engine: Are there any other codes along with the P0125, as it seems to indicate that it could piggy back other codes, which you should fix first.

You've already replaced the thermostat, so that only leaves the one option left according to the inspection procedure, which you've already done. New doesn't mean good though.

If you look at P0171, it also has an engine coolant temp sensor as a potential problem to throw that code.

Unsure what code you first threw, but since it is coolant related as well... Maybe a P0128? (also lists the engine coolant temp sensor as a potential problem)

Here are the instructions for the ECT Sensor: I suggest you check it before just replacing it, although it looks like its only a $30 part.

This is the reason you test things and not just blindly throw parts at a computer problem.

Personally, I still suspect your o2 sensor because it isn't OEM style and isn't a proven brand that works in our trucks.

19. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
  20. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    floger70

floger70 [OP] Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    i did replace the thermostat and the ECT with new ones and they both seem to be workin fine. i checked the ECT for proper power and voltage reading and the thermostat in a pot and it worked perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top