Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

towing and body work questions

Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
tacod is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
tacod's Tacoma Gallery
towing and body work questions

been looking for a tacoma...found a '99 w/ 43k miles locally that *almost* fits the bill...it's got the v6, 5-spd, 4wd, trd, x-tra cab that i want, but is short a towing package and has some body damage.

1. beside a hitch and wiring, what else do i miss out on without a tow package? what are the options to equip for such duty?

2. the right rear quarter is pretty beat up. looks like someone tried to share a lane with this truck sometime ago. the question is, what is entailed in replacing that quarter? is it a bolt-on thing, or is the quarter welded into the rest of the bed?

the truck's price accounts for the damage, but i want to better understand what it would take to repair...

thanks in advance!!!

dan
Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for the body work end of it, but as far as towing, the tow package comes with a transmission oil cooler for automatics (from what I understand it's not on the manuals). If you're just doing light towing, a hitch and wiring is all you'll need. Depending on the set-up, a brake controller might be required also.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Got the tow pkg on mine and no cooler that i could see.