Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Problem with the Brakes....

Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with the Brakes....

I bleed out my brakes yesterday. Pedal feel was great. Then I started the truck. The pedal went straight to the floor... Tried bleeding them with the truck running just to see what it would do... No different...

I pulled out the vac check valve.... It is working properly. When pumping the brakes with the engine running, the truck starts to die out. When we clamped off the vac line to the booster the brakes felt a world better. Its ike it has a vacuum leak... I am guessing the brake booster is shot... any ideas???? Anything else i can try to trouble shoot before throwing more parts at it????

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the booster is out of it.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...br/bba/ovi.pdf
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
You are the man.... Thank YOU!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sounds like the booster is out of it.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...br/bba/ovi.pdf
Quote:
2. AIR TIGHTNESS CHECK
(a) Start the engine and stop it after 1 or 2 minutes. Depress the brake pedal several times slowly.
If the pedal goes down farthest the 1st time, but gradually rises after the 2nd or 3rd time, the booster is air tight.
GOOD
1st 2nd
3rd
NO GOOD
BR2238
(b)
Depress the brake pedal while the engine is running, and stop the engine with the pedal depressed. If there is no change in the pedal reserve travel after holding the pedal for 30 seconds, the booster is air tight.
OK, tested it all... pedal builds pressure fine when engine is off. Start the engine and the pedal goes to the floor. Try to pump it up and it still goes to the floor. I have the engine running with the pedal pressed, shut the engine off, wait 30 seconds, and it pushes to the floor...

Is it a safe bet that the booster is not holding an air tight seal??? A new booster is $250 at Napa, and I hate to take on the expense let alone the hastel of changing it unless I can pin point it to that being the problem first...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
why were you bleeding the brakes,did you replace something?if the booster was bad,from leaking vacuum internally,it would basically feel like it does when the engine is off.i've seen people bleed there brakes and push the pedal all the way to the floor to bleed.this will sometimes mess up the seal in the master cylinder, from contaminates that have built up in front of the seals.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I had to change the Driver Front Caliper.

So if the booster was leaking it should be real stiff even with the engine running?

When I changed it all, I opened all bleeders and flushed new fluid thru the entire truck. So I am hoping there is no dirt left in the system.

What could it be causing the pedal to have NO pressure once the engine starts???
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Also the engine almost dies out when you pump the brakes...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
I had to change the Driver Front Caliper.

So if the booster was leaking it should be real stiff even with the engine running?

When I changed it all, I opened all bleeders and flushed new fluid thru the entire truck. So I am hoping there is no dirt left in the system.

What could it be causing the pedal to have NO pressure once the engine starts???
was the brakes acting like this before you replaced the caliper?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
The truck was a basket case... sitting for 4 years. Take a quick peak at my build thread and you will see. the first pic is the way it sat when I purchased it.

The caliper was froze solid. I have yet to drive the truck. Just in and out of my garage since I got it running.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Roll Tide

HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
The truck was a basket case... sitting for 4 years. Take a quick peak at my build thread and you will see. the first pic is the way it sat when I purchased it.

The caliper was froze solid. I have yet to drive the truck. Just in and out of my garage since I got it running.
if all of the air is out of the lines,and its still going to the floor,i would take a look at the master cylinder.