Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

got the lift installed but a problem show up

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
got the lift installed but a problem show up

over the weekend i had my brother help me installed the lift kit i just got in. we got the rear installed on saturday. then sunday, we move onto the front.
i went to autozone and pick up a set of the spring compressor to compress the coils onto the bilsteins.
i used the stock top plate with the stock washers and bushings.
bolt it back on and tires and everything.
took it for a test drive and i heard the front making "clanking" noises. i wasnt sure whats causing that so i drove it back home and so to find out we didn't tighten down the preload bolt all the way down to the end. i untighten the 3 bolts holding the whole piece and try to see if it will do down but it didn't. maybe i should have to disassemble the whole springs again and redo it. so what should i do? any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
got the lift installed but a problem show up-aimg_1782.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-aimg_1795.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-aimg_1797.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-aimg_1798.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-aimg_1800.jpg  

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you have something with the washers and bushings messed up. Heres what mine look like

Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Should probably take it back out and re-do the assembly. Make sure everything is right.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Looks like you have something with the washers and bushings messed up. Heres what mine look like

Shit Steve didn't we just cover this for someone ? Ok,

1-retainer
2-rubber grommet
3-retainer
4-rubber grommet
5-retainer

6- big nut for holding pre load

Check to make sure the bottom of your coil is properly seated in spring seat. & (I know this sounds dumb ) make sure the seat is facing the right way (not upside down)

The 3 bolts only connect the strut to the strut tower..
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

the picture showing is on the passenger side and the driver does the same thing also. after the short driving test, we tighten down the preload bolt on both sides, we did this at night so after we tighten the bolt down we stop for the night. now this morning i check on the driver side it it the gap between the washer on top of the bushing was gone and it was tighten down. but the passenger side is still showing the gap on the picture. i should taken it part again and reassemble it huh? aight then if thats the only way to solve it.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Shit Steve didn't we just cover this for someone ? Ok,

1-retainer
2-rubber grommet
3-retainer
4-rubber grommet
5-retainer

6- big nut for holding pre load

Check to make sure the bottom of your coil is properly seated in spring seat. & (I know this sounds dumb ) make sure the seat is facing the right way (not upside down)

so that starting from bottom to top right? i saw there is a yellow gold bolt wit a black rubber on the shock shaft too but does that count as one of those steps?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove_taco_ma View Post
the picture showing is on the passenger side and the driver does the same thing also. after the short driving test, we tighten down the preload bolt on both sides, we did this at night so after we tighten the bolt down we stop for the night. now this morning i check on the driver side it it the gap between the washer on top of the bushing was gone and it was tighten down. but the passenger side is still showing the gap on the picture. i should taken it part again and reassemble it huh? aight then if thats the only way to solve it.

I see, you have the self adjusting, self tightening pre load kit ... j/k

I dunno man , you def. have some issues going on, from one of your pics I can see it looks like the nut for pre load is bottomed out on threads like your missing a washer , 3-washers (retainers) & 2- grommets per side is what they call for, I think I'd start over & really pay close attention, those are 5100's ?

I'll take a couple pics of mine & post...
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so that starting from bottom to top right? i saw there is a yellow gold bolt wit a black rubber on the shock shaft too but does that count as one of those steps?

Bottom to top is correct
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #9

yes shocks are the 5100s. the top preload are sorta strip because i use hand tight clamp to lock the top and turn the bolt. tomorrow imma gonna have to take off the whole right passenger and redo it again. yes post some pictures so i can see what's going with my setup.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repa...orber/comp.pdf
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #12

correct if im wrong, this is how it goes:
1. from bottom to top there are a big bushing that goes on top of the yellow gold nut, and that goes on the new shock shaft under the plate?

2. then on top of the top plate there are only 4 things 2 washers and 2 grommet. is that correct?

so to summary up on top of the plate, washer on plate, big grommet, small grommet and washer and then the preload bolt?
the thing is i didn't take off the shocks and springs, my dad and brother took it off while i was out and then when i came back it was just everywhere so i just put it on what i saw on the floor. i guess i'm missing 2 or 3 things. if this is getting too complicated for me, i'll take it to the shop to have them do it for me.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
correct if im wrong, this is how it goes:
1. from bottom to top there are a big bushing that goes on top of the yellow gold nut, and that goes on the new shock shaft under the plate?

2. then on top of the top plate there are only 4 things 2 washers and 2 grommet. is that correct?

so to summary up on top of the plate, washer on plate, big grommet, small grommet and washer and then the preload bolt?
the thing is i didn't take off the shocks and springs, my dad and brother took it off while i was out and then when i came back it was just everywhere so i just put it on what i saw on the floor. i guess i'm missing 2 or 3 things. if this is getting too complicated for me, i'll take it to the shop to have them do it for me.
I'm aboud 3 beerz short a 12 pak but that sound about right..
Old 08-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #14

today i took the struts off from the truck and took it to the shop to put on the bushing and washer. and yeah i forgot to put the washer and bushing under the plate while i was compressing the springs from sunday. so took it to the shop, had them remove the coils off of the springs and put the washer and bushing on. paid 20 bucks and took it home got it installed now the front is not even from the driver and passenger side.

whats going on now? driver side is not level with the passenger side? the front wheels are slanted more outwards from top. do i need to do alignment to get them straight again?
i got the ome 881 with bilsteins and 5 leaf packs from wheelers.

truck is a 4 banger with 31 bfg at. steering wheel has no play but alignment is kinda off. with my lifts i think i get about 2.5" which might required alignment?

edit: will post pictures later
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #15

here's the pictures of the front end driver side slanted and passenger side higher. front wheels are also toe in at bottom on ground. should i re adjust the springs mount?
Attached Thumbnails
got the lift installed but a problem show up-img_18046.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-img_18056.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-img_18066.jpg   got the lift installed but a problem show up-img_18076.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
for your camber you should always do a alignment after lift.. but it does look like you could lower it a bit are you using adjustable billy's AND lifted springs? because you should not go over 2.5" lift without doing a diff drop and I wouldnt try to go more than 3-3.5" total lift on stock front suspension

also unrelated but do you know your truck has a 2wd grille?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #17
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
today i took the struts off from the truck and took it to the shop to put on the bushing and washer. and yeah i forgot to put the washer and bushing under the plate while i was compressing the springs from sunday. so took it to the shop, had them remove the coils off of the springs and put the washer and bushing on. paid 20 bucks and took it home got it installed now the front is not even from the driver and passenger side.

whats going on now? driver side is not level with the passenger side? the front wheels are slanted more outwards from top. do i need to do alignment to get them straight again?
i got the ome 881 with bilsteins and 5 leaf packs from wheelers.

truck is a 4 banger with 31 bfg at. steering wheel has no play but alignment is kinda off. with my lifts i think i get about 2.5" which might required alignment?

edit: will post pictures later
What did you set the Bilstiens at with the 881's? I installed them set @ 0 with 881's ....V6 and got 2 inches of lift. With a 4 banger I would think set to 0 would give you your lift and a good ride as the 4 banger should be lighter.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
for your camber you should always do a alignment after lift.. but it does look like you could lower it a bit are you using adjustable billy's AND lifted springs? because you should not go over 2.5" lift without doing a diff drop and I wouldnt try to go more than 3-3.5" total lift on stock front suspension

also unrelated but do you know your truck has a 2wd grille?
i can't go any lower than 0. no wonder i always think that my grill is so different from the other 96-97 4wd tacoma.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
What did you set the Bilstiens at with the 881's? I installed them set @ 0 with 881's ....V6 and got 2 inches of lift. With a 4 banger I would think set to 0 would give you your lift and a good ride as the 4 banger should be lighter.
i set my bilstiens on 0 with 881 coils. i think it gave the truck bout a 2.5" of lift considering its a 4 banger.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #20

got a another question, will doing a alignment cure the problem? or get a diff. drop? i read other threads regarding doing the diff. drop some said no some said yes. i don't know. im a noobie to this lifting hobby. anyway, i don't think i can go any lower than already setting the bilstien at 0. dont want to swap the coils too cause too much hassle and time putting into it.