Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking rear axle swap

Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Locking rear axle swap

Is it easy or inexpensive to get a rear TRD axle installed in a non TRD Truck? It comes with the ECU and everything.

I have an 03 Extra Cab and I found a rear axle out of a 2000 4 Runner, would it fit in my truck?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea on the electronics side of the problem but I do know that all the suspension mounts will be different on the 4runner axle. For one, those have coils instead of leafs. So you'd likely have to build spring perches on the axle tube, shackle mounts and front spring mounts on the frame.

The overall hub to hub width will be similar though likely not identical. 16" stock Tacoma alloy wheels should mount on that axle with no issues, the offset might be slightly different.

Overall, probably not as difficult as doing an SAS. I am betting that this has been done many times before.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
well unfortunately that sounds like a little too much work for this guy so I might just go the way of an aftermarket locker like a powertrax no slip and then buy a TRD OR 2nd gen when funds are available!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it would be difficult electrically to integrate, not much to it other than getting power to the acuator/servo to engage/disengage
via the button you'd have to install but I'd look for a TRD axle approx. to your year truck, FROM a truck not 4runner, but be forewarned, guys are really looking for the TRD Elocker so prices are at a premium, after market may be the way you want to go (ARB setup is great but too pricy for my taste) Auburn, Detroit are options but if you take a little time & keep your eyes open you can find the stock TRD axle, I saw one less than a week ago on Craigs for $ 900.00 OBO, probably gone by now though..... good luck....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I would think that you may be just a well off to just buy a lock rite or a power trax. Probably be alot cheaper and alot less of a headache to install.

I have rode in a few trucks with this lockers in stalled and they seemed to work very smoothly