Notices

Hydrolocked??

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Plan.For.The.Worst
spazoner is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
spazoner's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Hydrolocked??

(1998 Tacoma V6 four cam) Ok so Im pretty sure there's a couple threads on this already but i couldn't find a solution to my problem.
Here's the story, went through "puddle" and in the middle got deeper on passenger side and died. No water in cab, But took water into intake. Let dry for a couple hours. Pulled spark plugs and looked into the cylinders saw water in two of them. So obviously tried to turn the engine over to get the water out, but all i got was a ticking sound, (Such as a dead battery tick) Charged battery but still getting same outcome. Checked fuses, relays, and as many electrical components as possible. Starter problems maybe? Still any advice or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch! that sucks man.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
I had a dodge neon that had the same issue, went through too much water when a city storm drain was plugged. Died, had it towed home took the plugs out and saw water in the cylinders. After hearing the ticking sound I continued to try and roll the motor over and BANG! A piston slammed through the oil pan and covered my shop floor with 4 quarts of oil. If I had drained the oil pan (which contained water and oil), perhaps the piston wouldn't have been thrown through the pan, dunno. The motor had experienced irreversible damage prior to me taking the plugs out, hopefully you have an easier experience.
Aaron
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Plan.For.The.Worst
after it happened i did try turning it over while still in the water but just got the tickin noise. So far my attention draws to the starter and battery. Possible short maybe or plug with water in it. Or the solenoid on the starter. Am i wrong by thinkin that?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
if you turned it over after it died, it may be too late and hydrolocked
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I would drain the oil and pull all plugs. crank the engine over by hand with the plugs out and see if any water comes out...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazoner View Post
(1998 Tacoma V6 four cam) Ok so Im pretty sure there's a couple threads on this already but i couldn't find a solution to my problem.
Here's the story, went through "puddle" and in the middle got deeper on passenger side and died. No water in cab, But took water into intake. Let dry for a couple hours. Pulled spark plugs and looked into the cylinders saw water in two of them. So obviously tried to turn the engine over to get the water out, but all i got was a ticking sound, (Such as a dead battery tick) Charged battery but still getting same outcome. Checked fuses, relays, and as many electrical components as possible. Starter problems maybe? Still any advice or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid. They don't like water either.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I would also even get you some straws from McD's and put them into the spark plug holes. Make sure they are going up and down with the pistons when you manually turn the engine over. Sounds dumb, but it works. Thats how we figured out my friend hydrolocked his civic. Snapped a rod in half.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Plan.For.The.Worst
thanks guys. turning it by hand is the next step after i check the solenoid.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
stucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the rough

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Ya it sounds like something to do with the starter got wet and is not working right anymore. And if it is making the same sound that they do when the batterys dead then I would be almost sure thats what it is.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Plan.For.The.Worst
ok so we turned the motor by hand and then i tried turning it over with the key, shot water out of some cylinders then stopped. seems to stop at the same place everytime we tried. im taking the oil pan off tomorrow to check for rods. idk but im starting to think shits gettin worse. =/ but thanks for all the advice guys
Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Plan.For.The.Worst
thrown rod... =[
Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
Plan.For.The.Worst
Brunes = thanks man..

98MudBug = replace it prob. dont have the cash to build it. although i have been dreamin about that haha.. if i do anything its goin to be the lift ive been waitin for and im thinkin about line-xing the whole body. snorkel, waterproofing everything possible and some other exterior mods..
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Happened to a friend of mine with his Chevy K10 (Chevy 350 block). We used a wet vac and using tape, we taped of the end of the hose (with a small opening so the vac doesnt overheat) and attached a long straw to the end. We removed the plugs, vacuumed out the cylinders, poured a bit of oil down each cylinder and cranked by hand. Once we finished, we reassembled, changed the oil, poured seafoam into the oil sump, and turned her over. She fired up and ran rough for about an hour. Once she settled out, we did another oil change and she's been running just fine since (~6 years ago).
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
that sucks good luck
stay out of the water
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #20
Plan.For.The.Worst
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Happened to a friend of mine with his Chevy K10 (Chevy 350 block). We used a wet vac and using tape, we taped of the end of the hose (with a small opening so the vac doesnt overheat) and attached a long straw to the end. We removed the plugs, vacuumed out the cylinders, poured a bit of oil down each cylinder and cranked by hand. Once we finished, we reassembled, changed the oil, poured seafoam into the oil sump, and turned her over. She fired up and ran rough for about an hour. Once she settled out, we did another oil change and she's been running just fine since (~6 years ago).

_ i wish my ending could have been like this lol. broke a rod. =/

@brutalguyracing - lol good idea