Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tires ~ 31X10.5R15

Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
Tires ~ 31X10.5R15

Ok, so just wanted to get a good feel for what you guys are using for shoes...

I have Dayton Timberlines now, and its getting ready for replacement.

Whats everyones favorite and why?

I am mostly highway driving but do go in the dirt,snow, etc..
Thanks,
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Running TRD Sport 17" rims with Cooper Discoverer ATR's. I've always had great luck with Cooper tires. The ATR has an aggressive look, performs well in the snow and doesn't make much noise on dry pavement.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
May be a dumb question but I have an 01 taco and I have heard that you can't run a
15" wheel because the brake capliers wont clear? Ive heard 16 is as small as you can go

True or false?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Sry didnt mean to hijack your thread just a quick question I had!

I have had 2 sets of Maxxis Buckshot mudders and loved them, but they are a mud tire so they start to ride rougher, louder and you dont get as many miles out of them!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapovick View Post
Ok, so just wanted to get a good feel for what you guys are using for shoes...

I have Dayton Timberlines now, and its getting ready for replacement.

Whats everyones favorite and why?

I am mostly highway driving but do go in the dirt,snow, etc..
Thanks,
BFG All Terrains.

I know a lot of folks call them overpriced and/or overrated, but it's the only tire I've been using since the mid-80s. They are bomber.

And since the 31 x 10.5 are considered oversized for the Tacoma, they last a long time.

For example my last set on the Tacoma went 8 years and 105,000 miles. Not the greatest practice but the guys at Discount Tire told me they weren't dangerous whatsoever when I replaced them with a new set.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
May be a dumb question but I have an 01 taco and I have heard that you can't run a
15" wheel because the brake capliers wont clear? Ive heard 16 is as small as you can go

True or false?
my 97 has 15" wheels... the early ones all did, 95+ Not sure on the 01+, but I am pretty sure the calipers and rotors are unchanged since 95.

OP, I am running 31x10.50 15 BFG Mud Terrain tires....
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
15" rims will fit on first gens. its the 2nd gens that have larger calipers that interfere.

i have mickey tompson atz-plus 31 10.50 r15's and i really like them. very little highway noise and have yet to get stuck in the dirt. can't speak for their snow abilities just yet (get back to me in a few months). i have yet to see any wear on them at a;; and i have 5000 klm on them.
the only issue i have with them is that i got them before my OME lift and now i want taller ones. but they only come in 33 x 12.50 r15 and i really want to stick with the 10.50 width. so i think I'm gunna go to the BF ALL-Terran's which do come in a 33x10.50r15. should look sweet!
anyone in ontario want to buy my ATZ-Plus's????
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
BFG All Terrains.

I know a lot of folks call them overpriced and/or overrated, but it's the only tire I've been using since the mid-80s. They are bomber.

And since the 31 x 10.5 are considered oversized for the Tacoma, they last a long time.

For example my last set on the Tacoma went 8 years and 105,000 miles. Not the greatest practice but the guys at Discount Tire told me they weren't dangerous whatsoever when I replaced them with a new set.
x2, BFG a/t's all the way. I had a set of these on my s10. I only had them for about 6 months but these things were awesome. best tire I ever had. they will honestly outlast any other tire, dont give a damn what everyone says

and yes they are pricey, but always remember you get what you pay for.
i will be getting another set for the taco when the money is right
Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Deal on my BFG Mud Tires... If it was not for that I would have purchased General Grabbers again. I was far more impressed with them over the BFG AT's I have had in the past. They did not Cup at all, Minimum road noise, Laster forever, Did great on and off road. I always thought the BFG AT's had a tendency to spin easy on wet roads.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BFG All Terrains.

The 31"x10.50"x15" are OEM for 1st gen. TRD's.....
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

True or false?
The 15" rims were stock on the 98-00 TRD tacomas.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i put bfg all-terrains on about 10 months ago and have no regrets! great tire! i've only had my truck for 12 months, so i really haven't tested any other tires so i have nothing to compare these to, but i'm probably going to get the same tires when these wear out.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
BFG A/T KO's are a great all round purpose tire, decent ride on & off road, you can get excellent mileage out of them too, price is in ballpark also....
Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

True or false?
Not a dumb question bro', you can run 15"'s with no issues I think Toyota started using 16" rims in '01 as OEM.....
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I got these from Sears, they're comparable to most Goodyear brand tires. They're actually made by Goodyear specifically for Sears. I don't take my truck offroad hardly ever, mainly highway use, and I love these.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
i gotta 2000 with 31x10.5x15 goodyear mtrs which are almost bald but they were alright offroad but i wouldnt dare go in the mud with them

i just ordered a lift and im stoked so im looking at tires and i think im gonna get the BFG ATs they really arent that expensive and ive heard nothing but good things. im a little worried about their mudding potential but at can only be better than what i got

quick question tho. im gonna buy some new rims and i think im gonna stick with 15s cuz they are cheap. but should i get 15x8 or 15x10? whats the difference? im gonna get 33x10.5x15 ATs

also backspacing? i can only find 3.75?
sorry for the threadjack

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...CW&w=200&h=200
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
The 31"x10.50"x15" are OEM for 1st gen. TRD's.....
I always thought there were two options. With the 31 x 10.5" being the larger of the two.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post
i gotta 2000 with 31x10.5x15 goodyear mtrs which are almost bald but they were alright offroad but i wouldnt dare go in the mud with them

i just ordered a lift and im stoked so im looking at tires and i think im gonna get the BFG ATs they really arent that expensive and ive heard nothing but good things. im a little worried about their mudding potential but at can only be better than what i got

quick question tho. im gonna buy some new rims and i think im gonna stick with 15s cuz they are cheap. but should i get 15x8 or 15x10? whats the difference? im gonna get 33x10.5x15 ATs

also backspacing? i can only find 3.75?
sorry for the threadjack

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...CW&w=200&h=200
i went with the 8" with the 3.75 bs. they look and work great. and the 10.50 tires will fit on them no problem! i think if you go up to a 10" rim you might have issues with the tire breaking out of the bead if you air down.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I always thought there were two options. With the 31 x 10.5" being the larger of the two.

98-00 TRD's came with 31 x 10.5 -15
01-04 TRD's came with 265/70- 16 (may have been 75 aspect ratio)
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderD View Post
i went with the 8" with the 3.75 bs. they look and work great. and the 10.50 tires will fit on them no problem! i think if you go up to a 10" rim you might have issues with the tire breaking out of the bead if you air down.
oh man thank you! thats what i needed to hear

now i got that whole rim thing figured out