Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

One man brake bleed

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
One man brake bleed

OK so I have the vacuum, any one have any types or steps for the brake bleeding?

I was going to drain all existing fluid out and start with a fresh bottle of brake fluid.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
pump pump and pump some more... It took me a while with a manual pump. I guess they make one that hooks to an air compressor thats much easier...

But yes, you should try to get all the old fluid out first...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
any idea how much i will need? its a 2.7 liter 4x4 1999 tacoma automatic trans
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I used a whole big bottle just flushing the old out. Then another big bottle finishing the flush and bleeding the air out.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
What I do is first remove the old fluid from the mastercylinder with a turkey baster,then add new fluid, next go to the wheel cylinder furthest from master cyl ( R/rear) bleed till clear fluid can be seen,( I use a clear jar to see the fluid ) then to the next furthest ( L/rear ) do the same and then ( R/front ) then (L/ front), keeping an eye on the master while bleeding each wheel so not to run out of fluid and get air in system.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
humtaco is on a distinguished road
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've used a clear plastic tube, one end on the nipple the other in a jar. When you start getting clean fluid coming out of the tube put some new fluid in the jar then as you pump the brakes air bubbles get pushed out and clean fluid sucked back in from the jar as you let the brake pedal up from the floorboard. Sure is nice to have someone pump the brakes while you watch from underneath though.YMMV
Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
If you have the time you don't have to pump the brakes you can just let physics do the work and avoid air in the lines as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
What I do is first remove the old fluid from the mastercylinder with a turkey baster,then add new fluid, next go to the wheel cylinder furthest from master cyl ( R/rear) bleed till clear fluid can be seen,( I use a clear jar to see the fluid ) then to the next furthest ( L/rear ) do the same and then ( R/front ) then (L/ front), keeping an eye on the master while bleeding each wheel so not to run out of fluid and get air in system.
this is correct you start the farthest from the brake booster then work towards th closest