Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The "shutter" and the "check engine"

Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
bobmartin is on a distinguished road
bobmartin's Tacoma Gallery
Angry The "shutter" and the "check engine"

I hit about 55mph and the truck started to shutter and the engine light came on. Hooked it to the laptop and it said there was a misfire in cylinder 2. I've changed all the spark plugs, wires, and swapped two coils around just to try to diagnose. Still having the same problem with the lack of power and a heavy shutter. Check engine light is on and off and sometimes flashes. All I know now is to start checking fuel injectors. I ran a bottle of Lucas through the gas tank with no luck. Do I pull the injectors and ultrasonic them? replace them? Anything else?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmartin View Post
I hit about 55mph and the truck started to shutter and the engine light came on. Hooked it to the laptop and it said there was a misfire in cylinder 2. I've changed all the spark plugs, wires, and swapped two coils around just to try to diagnose. Still having the same problem with the lack of power and a heavy shutter. Check engine light is on and off and sometimes flashes. All I know now is to start checking fuel injectors. I ran a bottle of Lucas through the gas tank with no luck. Do I pull the injectors and ultrasonic them? replace them? Anything else?
Your piston rings might be fried and your experiencing blow by which would explain lack of power and possibly the shutter
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I would start with injectors.. do what you did for coils swap one with another if the problem moves then thats the cause..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It's going to be a 300 series code. Tons of things can cause this. Seeing how you have eliminated the plugs and wires, i would check the following:

In order of easiest to hardest.
  • Connector connection
  • Vacuum hose connection
  • PCV hose connection
  • PCV hose
  • Mass air flow meter (clean it)
  • Injector
  • Fuel pressure
  • EGR system (Only for 3RZ–FE)
  • Ignition system
  • Engine coolant temp. sensor
  • Compression pressure
  • Valve clearance
  • Valve timing
  • ECM

It could also be a cam or crank sensor.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
make sure there is ZERO moisture anywhere near the plug boot or in the spark plug hole. ...i washed my truck and a day later had the exact same symptom. ..i had cylinder 3 misfire. i swapped plugs, changed wires, ect. ..turnd out to be condensation in the hole the spark plug goes in.