LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tundra or Tacoma for next truck?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra or Tacoma for next truck?

I've finally paid off my 01 and plan on keeping it around for a while, but I'm also starting to research my next truck just in case this one grenades or something bad happens. I'm looking at either a newer Tacoma doublecab or an older Tundra (either xtra or double cab). Any of you guys know a good Tundra forum, like the equivalent of Tacomaworld? I don't want the new style Tundra, I don't like how big Toyota made them and don't like the look.

Second question, for any of you who have traded in or sold your Tacoma, how close to Kelly value do these generally seem to be? Mine is in what I would consider fair condition, definitely not perfect looking but inside looks great and it runs perfectly, plus it's got a new, year old frame.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
IMO get another Taco, there's plenty of guys on here (not all) that traded their Taco's for a Tundra and regretted it.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Tundra if you will use what is has to offer. If you can do everything you need/want to do with your current Taco then stick with that!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I would look at another Tacoma, but aren't the 1st get Tundras pretty close to the same size as the 2nd gen Taco? For me I don't need the v8 so I would stay with the Taco.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Why get another truck? You've got a truck. Put that payment money into a toy...2011 Mustang 5.0L sounds right on target...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont mind 9mpg or not fitting in any parking spots go for the tundra. i would upgrade to a double cab tacoma
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Why get another truck? You've got a truck. Put that payment money into a toy...2011 Mustang 5.0L sounds right on target...
he said he plans on keeping what he has now, just as an "in case something blows up". Just getting a feeler.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
I work for a dealership that deals with this all the time. Its a pretty even split but the 2 things we here most are.... Guy comes in with a taco, upgrades to a tundra for the reason of space, or towing, or cause he wants more of a big fat truck feel....

The other part is guy brings in his tundra because he wants less of a big fat truck feel, doesnt need the towing, or gas is KILLING him. Either way the people who have them love them so you cant really go wrong... just make sure you pick practically cause if you tow stuff once a year not really sure you need the hog!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses so far. Mine has 160,000 on it right now, I figure it's good for at least a couple more years and maybe more, but I'm mainly trying to get an idea which I should start looking at. I'll definitely need something bigger inside that my xtracab, I need more of a real rear seat. The wife and I don't have plans for a kid anytime soon, but my next truck needs some car seat room. Maybe I should have put this in the 2nd gen. section, but are there any years I should avoid for either Tacoma or Tundra?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

the '05 Tacoma for the motor mounts
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
JohnDavid is on a distinguished road
JohnDavid's Tacoma Gallery
I own both Taco and Tundra. Both trucks are amazing, and serve their purpose. My Tundra is a 2008, so not exactly what you are looking for.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
me and gf had a 02 tundra (reg cab long bed 4.7V8) and loved it only reason got rid of it was we have 3 dogs so 2 people plus 3 pups doesn't work in reg cab and yes a 1st gen tundra is almost same size as 2nd gen taco...only they haul more...tow more...get same mpg....oh and have a v8...oh and look better. ;P
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had both a 04 Tundra DC (the first full 4 door in a tundra) & a 06 Tundra Access Cab. Both were 4.7 V8s autos w/ TRD pkgs except the 04 had a 4 speed & the 2006 was a 5 speed w/ vvti. Toyota changed to that configuration in the 2005 models.

That generation tundra by that time is very reliable & reasonable power & got comparable mileage to my current 06 Tacoma. The engine & trans were very smooth. I liked them a lot. They were just too big for what I needed in a truck. In some ways I regretted selling the 06.

Good info I found and am still a member of is TundraSolutions. Haven't been there in a while. They do have a 1GEN section.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
That sounds about right to me as well.... 5.0

Tundra.... No way for me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4?fs=1

If your looking to get a new truck, I would stick with a Tacoma. If you want something nicer.... Get a Ford Raptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWYqfgZlVVM?fs=1