1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1welder, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    1welder

1welder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony grace
    edgewood, tx.
    Vehicle:
    98' ext. cab
    toytec coilovers, bil 5100's, dakar leafs, e-locker rear,aussie front, 4x innovations sliders,cooper stt's 32x11.5x15, max 4 marathon seat covers,
    I just installed a set of lightforce lights on my truck. My bumper has two 4 1/4" holes that I want to put to good fog lights in. My question is can I splice the two new 4" lights into the two wires that I have powering my existing lightforce lights? The lightforce lights have 100 watt bulbs in them if that matters. Thanks for the help.

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Chances are no. You could if you check the fuse and the wiring you installed to see if it can handle the increased amps. If it can yes then you can do it. The total new demand must be only 80% of wiring and fuse rated load.

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Personally I would not do it also. I'd use the existing relay to power a second relay in parallel if you want it to all work with a single switch. Then I'd wire up the new lights with a new fused circuit sized to the new lights. It's the safe way to do it. That is a heavy demand circuit already.

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    i'd pull the harness going to the exisiting lights and use that as the trigger for a double relay harness to run all four lights

that way there is a minimal load on the stock/existing wiring and you can use larger gauge wire in the relay harness to power the four lights

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    1welder

1welder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony grace
    edgewood, tx.
    Vehicle:
    98' ext. cab
    toytec coilovers, bil 5100's, dakar leafs, e-locker rear,aussie front, 4x innovations sliders,cooper stt's 32x11.5x15, max 4 marathon seat covers,
    Man thanks for the info. Wiring is not my
    Specialty! Took me two days to figure out how to do the blinker swap! I'm not totally against havin another switch. I could run another harness. Unless you all could really break down this double relay deal. Feel free to elaborate! Lol
    My setup now has a switch with a in line fuse that goes to one of the headlight wires under the steering column. A wire that goes from the switch to the relay. A ground on the switch. A power wire to the relay with a 30 amp fuse. And one wire leaves the relay and splits off to each light. Just a little run down of my existing setup.

6. Aug 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Oh it's easy. The existing relay coil just pigtail off of that with two wires and run it to a new relay coil. Then from the battery positive to a fuse real close by to the new relay contacts to the lights to ground. Look at that thread basic electronics for relay wire numbers so you can figure out which contacts are indeed the relay coil. Old one works the same and the new one controls the new lights using the existing switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top