LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fluctuating Gas

Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
stu704 is on a distinguished road
stu704's Tacoma Gallery
Question Fluctuating Gas

So I just filled up my tank yesterday, and today, after about 35 miles, I noticed my gas was fluctuating.

It was starting to steadily go down to about 1/2 tank, and slowly (much slower) go back up, and only to about 3/4 tank. WTF is going on?

This is a 03 extra cab. 2.4 MT. It has 162k miles on it.

I have no idea what's happening here. Anybody knows or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Were you going uplill or downhill enough to shift the float in the gas tank? It has been my experience on other cars that when this happens the gas gauge reading wil drop quickly but rise back up to normal very slowly.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
stu704's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,

This was on a a flat street.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Also, sharp, long turns can also throw off your gauge. Anything with any sort of angle or g-forces will move the fuel around. It could also just be that the imperfections in the road caused just the perfect amount of movement in the tank for there to become waves over time, which would cause the float to drop down a good amount.

Make sure to watch your miles and that your gauge does actually keep the right levels, as it very well could be the float is stuck or the sensor is malfunctioning. It's just one of those things that can happen with age. Only way to know if that is the case is to drive it and see if the level actually moves. Just dont run yourself out of gas.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!
meckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS'D
Name: Stephen
meckleystephen's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt worry about this at all every vehicle I have driven does this its probally you just never took notice to it. How often do you actually really look at your fuel gauge when driving. Sometimes I look at it and I can see the it quivering and moving a bit. Id just keep an eye on it. Now if it goes from like full to E then back again I might get it checked out haha good luck
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
stu704's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. It was just such a drastic drop that concerned me a bit.

I'll keep a close watch on it.

Thanks!