Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anti cease compound (spark plugs)

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
anti cease compound (spark plugs)

Ok, so I'm on my 4th round of changing plugs and wires. I just changed the plugs about 3 months ago. I have NEVER used anti cease compound on the plugs, and friend advised that I should. So my question is does everyone use it? Any issues with not using it? Should I pull them out and put some on?

Thanks.

./worried
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
It is a good idea to use anti seize on aluminum heads. Just at dab will do it, and be careful, anti seize reduces drag on the threads. Do not over torque when using A.S.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
I use antiseaze on everything that I want to be able to take a part again, That stuff rules!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
It is a good idea to use anti seize on aluminum heads. Just at dab will do it, and be careful, anti seize reduces drag on the threads. Do not over torque when using A.S.
This ^^^
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend the copper based anti seize over the aluminum.

They also make this in a stick form, like big chapstick
Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ben, Why the copper?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610AuhCI8XS.pdf

Better conductivity. Plus, whats the point in using aluminum to pretect steel from aluminum.

I know they are both "filled" with various oils and greases, but I prefer to use the copper over the aluminum in this application.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610AuhCI8XS.pdf

Better conductivity. Plus, whats the point in using aluminum to pretect steel from aluminum.

I know they are both "filled" with various oils and greases, but I prefer to use the copper over the aluminum in this application.
Huh, that's interesting. The copper spec specifically mentions the application to plugs in aluminum heads, whereas the aluminum spec sheet does not have this additional detail (just says spark plugs).

Also, the spec sheet for copper says it is for up to 1800F, and the aluminum type is rated 200 degrees lower (1600F). Not that I have a clue what the typical max temperature range is in my V6 heads.

BUT, note that for the low-end temp, the aluminum is rated down to -51F, but the copper only to -30F, so maybe our friends in Minnesota and Canada should take note for when they are changing their plugs outside in a blizzard.

All that said, I have always used the aluminum and never had a problem...but maybe when I run out, I will swich to the copper, just to be, uh, like, all anal like Ben. (Seriously, I appreciate your attention to detail!)
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Huh, that's interesting. The copper spec specifically mentions the application to plugs in aluminum heads, whereas the aluminum spec sheet does not have this additional detail (just says spark plugs).

Also, the spec sheet for copper says it is for up to 1800F, and the aluminum type is rated 200 degrees lower (1600F). Not that I have a clue what the typical max temperature range is in my V6 heads.

BUT, note that for the low-end temp, the aluminum is rated down to -51F, but the copper only to -30F, so maybe our friends in Minnesota and Canada should take note for when they are changing their plugs outside in a blizzard.

All that said, I have always used the aluminum and never had a problem...but maybe when I run out, I will swich to the copper, just to be, uh, like, all anal like Ben. (Seriously, I appreciate your attention to detail!)

Don't get me wrong, they both work. I just find that one is better suited for the application than the other. Plus the little chapstick thingy I have for the copper anti seize is the cat's ass.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, they both work. I just find that one is better suited for the application than the other. Plus the little chapstick thingy I have for the copper anti seize is the cat's ass.

I want one. That stick looks like it would be excellent for avoiding accidentally getting goobers too far down the threads near the electrode, or anywhere else you don't want it. I am on a air racing team and our plane has a 3350 CI radial with 18 cylinders, 2 plugs per cylinder. I have put on a lot of C5A from a tube using my pinky finger verrrry carefully...handling big racks of plugs and climbing up and down ladders to install them provides a lot of opportunity to f* things up.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #11

Conductivity doesnt bother me, as the the "ground" of the plug is the base of the plug.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
I have never used anti seize compound also. Never had any problems removing them.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I have never used anti seize compound also. Never had any problems removing them.
Good to hear! Let us know how much time you spend on your heads when you come accross a seized plug
Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I like other posters apply anti seize on the plug threads and other items, that I intend to repair in the future, also apply die electric grease to the spark plug boots to.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I put anti-seize on EVERYTHING that'll potentially rust, or seize up over time. Including bolts & shafts (at work too).

Prevents moisture from getting into the threads, prevents rust from forming which prevents threads from rusting together, lubricates the metals, makes it easier to take things apart the next time.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #16

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Conductivity doesnt bother me, as the the "ground" of the plug is the base of the plug.
.....and the threads
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I put anti-seize on EVERYTHING that'll potentially rust, or seize up over time. Including bolts & shafts (at work too).

Prevents moisture from getting into the threads, prevents rust from forming which prevents threads from rusting together, lubricates the metals, makes it easier to take things apart the next time.

What about with places that do rust and may need to be removed, but must also maintain a proper torque setting. For instance, the tie rod end hold down nut for adjusting alignment.

Only reason I bring this up is because my old tie rods were so rusted that it took Firestone working on it for over an hour before they got the bolt loose enough to make the adjustment (had been soaking it daily with pb blaster for a week). The dealer gave up after about 30 min on the initial attempt. At that point I decided they were past due for changing out and put on new inner and outer tie rods, but I also dont want it to happen again.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
.....and the threads
Not when I glob anti sieze on them.