Notices

Newbie engine swap questions

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
nathandex is on a distinguished road

Army: Aviation Ops/FMV operator SGT
Name: nathan
nathandex's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie engine swap questions

Hey eveyone. i was wondering if any of you have or know someone who has succesfully swapped our engine for a larger one..i have the 3.4l v6 and when i come back from afghanistan was thinking about swapping it for a tundras 4.7 or similar.... my knowledge is not extensive (i mean i know my way around but never done a project this big before) and so i probably will either be getting some help or paying someone to do it. does anyone have any guesstimate on what a project like that would cost if i paid a mechanic to do the work? otherwise ill proly purchase a crap car to get me to work until its finished and do it myself (which would take along time bc it would b dictated to my helps availability as well as my own). any and all help would b appriciated!!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Don't forget plenty of time. If you can't do it yourself then I say drop the idea.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery

With enough money anything is possible. It would be pretty damn cool if you can pull it off.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

im not too worried about the money, and id rather do it myself with someone to guide me. i am interested in it being a learning experience as well...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If you aren't too worried about money then get something a V8. This swap will not cost $100. You will need the engine, transmission, computer, wiring harness, lots of tools and space to work. I understand you want to learn but this is no easy task. Do you have fab skills? Do you have a welder?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

but its def a plausible idea right? and do u think the tranny i have would b compatible with the 4.7l? or would i b lookn at swapping that out too?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
go for it man. i like to see the 1st gen. with a v8 motor.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandex View Post
but its def a plausible idea right? and do u think the tranny i have would b compatible with the 4.7l? or would i b lookn at swapping that out too?
You need the V8 trans. So about $1500 to $2000ish for the engine and tranny plus the harness and computer.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would guess you would be replacing everything, motor, tranny maybe want to go to a heavier rear end and ECU. Do you have a place to do any fabrication work or can you build motor mounts on your own?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #10

my thoughts exactly....i love this truck but giving it a v8, in my mind, could only make it that much bettter. ok say i undertake this as a project. worth it to buy a brand new engine or better to find a used one?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
my thoughts exactly....i love this truck but giving it a v8, in my mind, could only make it that much bettter. ok say i undertake this as a project. worth it to buy a brand new engine or better to find a used one?

If money were no object I would go with a new "built up" motor myself.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #12

i was imagining a much higher number...didnt want to spend more than 10k or so if i do it myself (was what i was thinking)...and no i couldnt build mounts on my own
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
take the frame and cut everything off the bottom. weld on everything from a tundra, slop in the new motor wiring and trans BAM!!!! done 20 minutes max!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #14

what do you meab by built up?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #15

wolfgang; hahaha thats not quite the same is it?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Go on TTORA or Desert Rangers. There are plenty of guys there that have done swaps to different motors. No one on TW that I know of has does one so you will find better info in other sources.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #17

ok ill check those out now...im at work, nothing else to do anyway lol
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
If, when, you do this.... take a lot of pics and keep a journal of parts, cost and special fabs needed. I know I would love to see/read your build process.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #19

i think i found someone who should b able to help ima try to contact him. obviously this project wont b done for along time..im b in afghanistan for a year but ive been lurking on this site for a bit and it has been rly helpful on other areas so ill def take pics and post on here when it does happen...lookin like a 99% likelyhood its goin to ;p
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
cankel is on a distinguished road
cankel's Tacoma Gallery
why not just get the supercharger. youll get the power, its from the factory, you are still covered by toyota,not as expensive,and you could probably do it yourself. Although the V8 would be pretty cool