1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternative Mod for 1st gens.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4WD, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Hey guys having problems finding the 3 setting Bilstein 5100's ?

How about a heavier duty gas charged ride height adjustable 5100
    with 5 settings instead of 3 ? Thats what I have on my 1st gen. I think these would be perfect for anyone with a heavier aftermarket bumper with or without winch. Dimentionally the same as the normal 3 groove 5100's just larger shock body & shaft because these are spec. for 1st gen. Tundras. Yes the ride is stiffer (which doesn't bother me) & from my own experience offroading them for awhile now they perform great !!

Just throwing this out there in case you can't find the 3 groove Billies, There is an alternative & a good one at that IMO......:cool:

Bilstein 5100 tundra.jpg
    Tundra 5100's.jpg

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    sdcoma

sdcoma Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    suck-butt spacer lift soon to be gone
    this is a pretty good idea i think

i'm getting a bumper with a light bar and a winch plate an i didn't really want to lift my taco much just to level off. 5 settings on these instead of the normal 3 settings 5100 . how much bigger is the shock body an shaft ?

3. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Good find. Pretty good alternative to those who wheel hard and/or have heavy accessories and can't afford 2.5" rebuildable coilovers.

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    jesus

jesus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesus
    bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    K&N ram intake & doug exs.
    5 settings instead of 3 ??????? and you just put on tundras bils no other fabs????? please tell me more does it make it higher:confused: does it cost anyless???

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yep, 5 instead of 3 settings & they are a straight up, bolt on affair just like the 3 groove 5100's , from info I gathered it gives the same 2.5" lift for the 1st gen Tundras as the 3 groove for the Tacomas, when I got these at the beginning of the year I was told by local Bilstein dist. that there wasn't an application specific for 1st gen Tacomas & some were using these, great for offsetting the additional weight that an after market bumper will no doubt have, price wise I paid $200 out the door & came complete with ALL hardware,bushings in place w/grommets,washers etc;

I freakin' love'm .....:D

Oh yeah , I'm still using the stock coils, & if I find a longer coil I'll R&R with the setting back to 1st groove (stock) & I'll still get between 2.5" - 2.75" , then I can do the rear leaf pack w/5125's

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I was wondering when you would bust loose with this! ;)

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Haha , yeah well you said the other day in the suspension topics that it may be a good alternative mod for the seemingly hard to get 3 groove 5100's & I agree whole heartedly after running them since the first of the year , doing alot of different trails w/ alot of different terrain (everything from snow in the local mountains,steep rocky OHV's & Ocotillo in the desert) I've had a good chance to evaluate them & it's a huge thumbs up...:yay:

Oddly though there seems to be a lack of interest in this reflected by the small number of post, I am apparently THE only one on TW that has these on a 1st gen , it may be because Bilstein now has a dedicated application for 1st gens. :notsure: But no matter I like having a 1 of a kind truck !!

Check out this website www.shox.com . This is the Distributer I got the shocks & info regarding them, thanx again for the MOD suggestion....:cool:

8. Sep 3, 2010 at 3:26 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches

get the tundra Coils.

I know that if you put the first gen tundra coils on the tacomas shocks it will give you an inch to inch and a half of lift. Works on the 4runner too.

9. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Yeah thats what I've been thinking , match the coils w/ shocks , I just haven't gotten around to getting the info on the Tundra coils as far as length, spring rate etc; I'll probably do that today, my only concern is seeing how the Tundra is obliviously larger/heavier I just don't want to "over spring" it as I'm sure you know that senario it'd be tuff to dampen things down enough to keep the lighter weight of a Tacoma from driving like a pogo stick.

But if you know guys that have done this application to a 1st gen. in regards to using both Tundra coil/shock matching with good results then I'm gonna start looking for some 1st gen Tundra coils, thanks for the info..:D

10. Sep 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    So... Since the 2nd gen Tundra is 5-lug, I could swap coils from it into my truck?! :eek: I mean, it is 5-lug, and so is mine, so naturally it would work, right? :)

11. Sep 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

I can't speak for the 2nd gen Tundra, I didn't even know it was a 5 lug, are you sure about that ?

Anyway, the 5100's I have are for 1st gen. Tundras. & I see your a 5 lug, I'm not sure if these are right for you, I have the TRD 6 lug & I'm not sure of the differences between yours & mine. maybe the same susp. wise but I don't think so, if your a 5 lugger then I'd say probably not going to work, different UCA's/LCA's

You'd have to check..

Products Discussed in

To Top