Have a 2002 4x2 5sp 2.4 reg cab Tacoma with 100K. I have a few qa's.
1. I have a rear cat code. I am familiar with the OEM cat issues when swapping to after market cat's. I am trying to by-pass getting a overpriced oem cat, is there a fix for this. I did try to sleeve the O2 sensor but the O2 sensor bracket on the 2002 won't allow that.
2. What are the week points of this drive train? From what I have heard the 2.4 5sp combo is pretty bullet proof. I am at 100K no fluid leaks no blue or white smoke. Might need a fresh clutch soon but that's about it with the tranny. I have done plugs, fuel filter, PCV, cleaned MassAir Sensor, Sea Foam, oil change, new air filter. Pulley's, belts, hoses look good. Idle quality is good although a tad rough depending on the weather, no stalls, accelerates smoothly. AC is good, electric is good.
3. How to open this motor up a little? Like most oem ecu's the engine is running efficiently but may have allot more power available. My previous vehicle was a Subaru WRX with a Sti swap. A little contrast there LOL!
3. What is the biggest rear diff you can safely swap on this truck?
4. What is a good parts source(s). I will be scouring junk yards here in Georgia for things like sliding rear window, 40/60 bench seat, drive train parts etc.