Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OBD II Not ready status

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
desert_rat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Active Duty
desert_rat's Tacoma Gallery
OBD II Not ready status

Sooo.........I'm due for my smog check here in AZ. I had the battery disconnected yesterday so I could do some wiring. I know that with OBD II, you have to drive the vehicle around through a few cycles or the status will read not ready. It doesn't throw a CEL light, but you can't pass the smog test in the "Not Ready" status. What is the drive cycle for these trucks? How many miles should I drive? Its a 97 2.4 4-cyclinder by the way. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
TheMike515 will become famous soon enough
TheMike515's Tacoma Gallery
OBD II Drive Cycle

So did you ever find out what the drive cycle was? I just took my newly purchased truck in for emissions today after having Toyota do a 'Buyers Inspection' on it and they told me the same thing....It was in the 'Not Ready' status. So I figured if I got about 50 or 75 miles on and tried again on monday I should be alright... 50miles worked for my old Audi.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
80 miles should be enough
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Generally it takes about 15-20 minutes of driving to reset everything.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, we get this at our dealership all the time. You will need to drive a combination of highway and city driving. In mass, you have 60 days to get reinspected if you have an emissions failure. I tell customers to go 150-200 miles. The more info you put into the computer, the more miles you drive, the better your chances of coming in with everything ready. I have seen people try to get the rejection off there too fast and come back with 50 miles and the fail again.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Something like 7 constant minutes between 45-60 mph and some stop and goes is what the emission system computer reads. It said this in my old service manual and I kept track when I got check engine lights every time I drove highway. I've never smogged though.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
TheMike515 will become famous soon enough
TheMike515's Tacoma Gallery
Did the trick

So I ended doing about 40 miles of mixed highway and city in the evening... then it sat overnite, and I had about a 14 mile highway commute to work... decided things were looking good and headed straight to the emissions testing place where I got a 'pass'... so it seems to me that if you can put about 50 miles on, with a full overnight cooldown than you should be golden.

Somewhere I read that the cooldown is essential to the evap system test...
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Rick500 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
Rick500's Tacoma Gallery
My 2009 will not go READY for the cat and O2 tests. No check engine lite, no codes or pending codes. Have completed many driving cycles since battery replacement !

Ran a scan and several emissions tests 'Not Supported'?? Also, the cat temp bank 1 sensor 1 (pre cat sensor) puts out a bad temp at startup? But then it starts working when you drive the vehicle a while?
The latter may be why no 'check engine lite'? Have checked all fuses, wiring looks good and car runs great... A solid code for a bad cat or O2 sensor is one thing I can deal with, but no codes and not emissions ready has got me baffled!
Something screwy with this ECU maybe or cat is boarder line but truck only has 35k miles on it.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
My 2009 will not go READY for the cat and O2 tests. No check engine lite, no codes or pending codes. Have completed many driving cycles since battery replacement !

Ran a scan and several emissions tests 'Not Supported'?? Also, the cat temp bank 1 sensor 1 (pre cat sensor) puts out a bad temp at startup? But then it starts working when you drive the vehicle a while?
The latter may be why no 'check engine lite'? Have checked all fuses, wiring looks good and car runs great... A solid code for a bad cat or O2 sensor is one thing I can deal with, but no codes and not emissions ready has got me baffled!
Something screwy with this ECU maybe or cat is boarder line but truck only has 35k miles on it.
Any thoughts? Thanks
might get a better response out of the second gen section since ur 09.