1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what would you do??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 04prerunner, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    04prerunner

04prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    if you were me..

sell my tacoma before i leave for the army, and buy 1st gen 4x4 if i can find one,or even possibly an f150??

or keep my taco and do a small lift, with some 32in tires??

I do love this truck but I wont be able to use it that much while in the army because of possible deployment, but I do need transportation, especially when i get out of basic training.

but i also want to get rid of it because i want a 4x4 taco, right now i have the dcab 4 banger, no locker.... cant really do any offroading like i want too. but only thing is 4x4's are so expensive:( and also because of having a payment every month when i cant use it that often

anyways, i appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or opinions

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    i'd save up my money while i was in the army...then after a while decide what to do/buy. when you rush into something like that, a lot of times you will make the wrong decision. just be happy with what you have now and think on it until you make a decision for yourself.

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    damn, well said. sometimes you gotta hear things from others. especially fellow TW brothers. thanks bud

4. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    If you get deployed, won't the Army give you a fat check on top of what they already pay you? If so, wait until your deployment is done and then upgrade if you still want to.

5. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    I will get some type of bonus for deplyoyment. not sure how much but i guess its better to hold on the taco and enjoy it for now. then like you said, upgrade later down the road. hopefully ill be able to afford a dcab 4x4 2nd gen

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Thanks for your service!

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, Thanks for your service! The other side of this is financial, are you upside down on your current vehicle? I know it's got to suck making payments on something you can't drive but maybe sell it before you deploy to get rid of the payment, save up while you're away and get what you want when you come home. Definitely don't rush into buying anything you might regret.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I appreciate your service!

I would sell your truck and save your money while overseas. When you get back pay cash for a new (to you) used truck. I would not buy one brand new because it is a big waste of money.

On another note, I was talking with my son about his Tacoma the other day. I was talking about him keeping it for a long time. He informed me that he was not going to keep forever because after he graduated school he wanted a full size truck. So when you get back, I might have a 1st generation Tacoma for sale.

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    thanks to all you guys, I dont know if im upside down. I owe 13,100 on the truck so im assuming thats not bad. I think i could easily sell it for around 12-13k. but then again it might be best to hang on to it until i know if i will be deployed or not. I know i will need transportation until then

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    just keep the truck for now... you've got basic and MOS training ahead of you

focus on getting those done and then worry about selling or keeping the truck

it's not like your gonna be driving alot in the next few months anyways...

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    04prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    very true, i think all im gonna do for now is keep it and put some all terrain tires on it for when i have to drive around in kentucky for AIT. possibly some bfg's. but cool thing is my family has a farm 20 minutes away from fort knox that i can visit when i have weekends off during AIT. I dont have 4x4 but atleast i will have some decent tires for the snow

what would you guys recommend for snow tires?? bfg's a/t'?? im from florida, never driven in snow but im sure regular street tires are not a good idea like what i have now :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top