Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dakar leaf spring installation issues. Please help !!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
whitaco is a jewel in the roughwhitaco is a jewel in the roughwhitaco is a jewel in the rough
Navy: NMCB 17
Name: Thomas
whitaco's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Dakar leaf spring installation issues. Please help !!

Hey guys.

Currently I have a 2001 taco with a 3.4 4x4 trd and I need help with my axle placement.

I installed my new dakar leaf springs last night with axle shims. Unfortunately the pin didn't protrude far enough through the shim to lock in to the axle brackets. I know the different solutions to fix this but the real issue is that the axle is located too far forward in the wheel well to put 33's in.

I think the reason why this is is because I combined the dakars with a toytec 1" lift shackle. I don't want to remove this because I need them to keep the bed from sagging when I pull my travel trailer. Plus I like a little rake.

The rear axle needs to move about an inch and a half to the rear to center the wheels in the wheel wells. I've thought about drilling secondary holes in the bracket forward of the stock pin locaters. I've seen a website off of a jeep forum that sells a small plate that you bolt to the bracket to relocate the pins forward or backward.

I am ordering extended leaf pack pins to clear the shim but I really need to move the axle back because I know the axle is placed correctly to the springs right now. I have a strong feeling that the extended shackle is pushing the springs forward a bit.

Any suggestions? This is a very difficult topic to research on google. I can't find the right wording...

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures would be helpful, not quite sure what you're trying to say. I had no problems installing Dakars on my 01 so I would have to say it's the lift shackle that's causing it.

Also, Dakars are quite strong as it is. I have put 1.5 yards of mulch in the back and it barely sagged. I don't think you need the lift shackles.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Good shims should be bolted to the pack by the center pins. A shim that simply sits over the center pin is super sketchy. I would take that out.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Ummmm, not real sure here... BUT are your sure you didn't put the leaf springs in backwards?? I don't understand how they could be that far off on centering the wheel unless the springs were installed backwards.

I know on my 97 that is defiantly possible. The pin is not centered, it is offset from the center of the leaf. Meaning its a shorter distance from the center pin to one end, than it is from center pin to the other end.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
whitaco is a jewel in the roughwhitaco is a jewel in the roughwhitaco is a jewel in the rough
whitaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure the shims just suck. I'm going to take them out tonight and do a carrier bearing drop. I have no vibes at all so it should be just fine.

The shims' slot is too wide and long. It could slip and move if I hit a big enough pot hole. Soo stupid. They rotated the back of my axle down too far so that my e-brake line is dragging on top of my leafs. My e-brake light stays on even though they are just slightly engaged.

When I take them out it should rotate the axle and wheels back far enough to mount my 33's. I will get the pins in the axle mounts then create rear traction on it with ratchet straps and my fists to move the axle as far back as possible as the pins will go.

I will see what toyteclifts can do for me as far as a return.

The shims as yotadan stated are absolute crap. I highly recommend not using them unless you relocate your axle mounts. If I have to, I will manufacture an axle shim for myself that will work for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
whitaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm positive that I didn't put the springs in backwards. The preinstalled bushing and sleeve is in the front. The open big eye is in the back with the aftermarket bushings and the sleeve with the aftermarket shackles.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I've actually been thinking about getting a plate that can move my axle forward about an inch since my 33's rub on the rear of the fender flare a little bit. I know the dakars are supposed to move the axle forward a little bit since stock it is too far back.

I have the wheelers 5 leaf pack btw which is a stock replacement with an extra leaf.

Just rambling here lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
whitaco's Tacoma Gallery
The cheap way would be to just drill a hole an inch back from the original. It would be better to weld a plate on top of the bracket that is an inch longer in the back than the original then drill the hole. If you don't have access to that, then try the adjustment block from the internet. Sorry I don't have the link. Try googling for it.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitaco View Post
The cheap way would be to just drill a hole an inch back from the original. It would be better to weld a plate on top of the bracket that is an inch longer in the back than the original then drill the hole. If you don't have access to that, then try the adjustment block from the internet. Sorry I don't have the link. Try googling for it.
I saw them somewhere. If I ever get bored I'll think about taking care of it. It only rubs when the tire is fully stuffed so its no big deal.