Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

throttle body adjustment

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
throttle body adjustment

Hi All,

So I noticed some slack in my throttle and accelerator cables (see picture 1), I realize there is suppose to be a little, but I took a picture to see what you guys thought. There is enough slack that I can wiggle it and move it up and down without moving the throttle pulley, should I tighten it up so its just enough tension that it doesn't pull on the pulley, yet can be slightly depressed?

Does the same go for the accelerator pulley?

Second question on the throttle position actuator, when cold its about 1/2" from the stop screw (see pic 2), when running at idle it doesn't move, when I apply throttle it moves slightly out, but quickly goes back, even with continued throttle. It slowly moves out as the engine warms, is this normal? After the engine is warm and I shut it off, it pops out enough to reach the screw stopper (see pic 3). Is this suppose to be what happens? What exactly does this do for the engine?

Thanks for the help!

Josh

Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
PIcs not showing up
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
PIcs not showing up
thanks, fixed
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That looks about like what my 2.7 had. Look into the TB and make sure its opening up all the way when someone pushes the accelerator down. Do this when its not running.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3.4, but I noticed the same thing on mine. I didn't investigate its behavior while running like you did, but it is running perfectly, so I figured it was normal and haven't worried about it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I have a 3.4, but I noticed the same thing on mine. I didn't investigate its behavior while running like you did, but it is running perfectly, so I figured it was normal and haven't worried about it.
well in the last 6months I have been driving exclusively in ESC, which I think has made me drive a little more aggressive.

About 3 months ago I did a flush on the ATF, put in a new filter, and added a mega inline ATF filter after the radiator.

She was driving awesome until last week, when we had the first 100 degree weather all summer out here, normally 70s, and I noticed that the engine was reving higher and shifting a little later, the shifts are still smooth though. The other day on a hill I came close to a full stop on coast, no brake, looking for a parking spot, and it shifted down and up really quick in succession, it never has done this before. I also noticed that when accelerating, it doesn't shift as quick as it used to.

At first I thought it was a transmission problem, but I found some trouble shooting links that said it could be the TB or TBS needing adjustment, so thats what made me look at the TB.

its a 1996 2.7L with 180,000 on it, in my knowledge these cables have never been adjusted. Looking at the threading and nut position, looks like it has never been moved.

I just shortened the throttle 1/4" and accelerator too, haven't test drove it yet, I'll report the results!

In the mean time, I'm still curious about that vacuum actuator it what it does and how to make sure its working properly....

Thanks!

Josh
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
cool josh let us kow how it works out
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Hi All,

So heres the update. I took the slack out of both the accelerator and throttle.

Observations:
1) The truck definitely reacts quicker to the gas peddle
2) The shifting "problem" seems to be better, as the engine RPMs seem to be more inline with the shift points.

Thoughts:
When I did the DIY flush and filter change, the truck was at 175,000. About 40,000 miles before I had Firestone do a drain and fill, but they did not do a flush or drop the pan, so I'm thinking that there was a lot of junk and old ATF in the system when I did the DIY flush. When I did the flush, I did a couple drain and fills of Dex III, the idea was to use cheaper ATF to help dilute the old ATF and clean it up before flushing with Dex VI. My Dex VI flush consisted of dropping the pan, new filter, and adding a megafine inline filter after the radiator. I flushed with ~16qt of Valvoline Dex VI (was on sale for $4!).

What I'm thinking is that the truck shifted "flawlessly" for the first three months was because the new ATF and filters had yet to really clean my system. I'm thinking that after three months the Dex VI probably help remove a lot of varnish and junk from through the system and the hopefully the megafine was filtering it out.

So now, the sharper, more noticeable shifts are simply a healthy tranny, that is engaging efficiently, making it more noticeable to me, since I been paying more attention to performance while driving in ETC exclusively. The engine revs was 90% likely due to the lose throttle and accelerator cables.

So now I have a quick, strong shifting truck, which I thought was a problem, since it was different than before, but I'm thinking this is the way it SHOULD be shifting?

Anyone else have some thoughts, verification to my observation?

Thanks!

Josh