Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone have to change an alternator

Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have to change an alternator

I just changed mine, and one thing i can tell you is once it goes, it goes. i had a guy here in town rebuild an oem off another toyota tacoma instead of buying a redo at autozone. My truck has 180k with that original alternator, anyone else get the same with their original?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
WITOY is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
WITOY's Tacoma Gallery
Thats great performance.. my alt went at 120 or so.
I rebuilt as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Knock on wood mines still holding strong at 208k.

If you dont mind me asking how much did it run you to have it rebuilt?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
here in Cali it cost $136 to get it rebuilt which is a little more expensive than buying a rebuilt from autozone, but it's better to have the whole thing rebuilt like i had than just having one part fixed and redone like they sell you at the parts stores.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
so its better to rebuild the toyota one then buy a brand new re-manufactured one?

I have the totally opposite results back in the Honda days when i had mine rebuilt and 4 months later it needed to be rebuilt again so i bought a autozone/shucks re-manufactured and didn't have a problem the last 1.5 years until i sold it
Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
mine has 255k on it...knock on wood
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I killed mine at 80k
Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
MontanaYoter is on a distinguished road
Name: Henry
MontanaYoter's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine at 175
cost me about 150 for a refurbished one at O'reillys.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery

i think it was around 109K miles when mine finally gave up the ghost

i managed to revive it at around 50 or 60K but after countless wheeling trips...it just couldnt last any longer

bought a refurb vatozone for around $200 because when youre in the woods...your options are limited

luckily i had a good mechanic on hand...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

i managed to revive it at around 50 or 60K but after countless wheeling trips...it just couldnt last any longer

bought a refurb vatozone for around $200 because when youre in the woods...your options are limited

hey is that will?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Hey Captain, don't you just love those heroes who step up out on the trail. My hats off to all those guys who are there when you need them, no questions asked, just get the job done!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post
here in Cali it cost $136 to get it rebuilt which is a little more expensive than buying a rebuilt from autozone, but it's better to have the whole thing rebuilt like i had than just having one part fixed and redone like they sell you at the parts stores.
I plan to get this one for my turck i a few days:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery

Note the tow rig and off colored hood
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
hey is that will?
correct

however that day it was a team effort

Chad got me from the outpost to the campsite

Hodge and a couple others got me from the campsite to every vatozone/pep boys/advanced auto within 50 miles and back

Will got my crappy alt out and new alt in
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
mine went at around 135k and so did my starter and battery all around the same time
Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
correct

however that day it was a team effort

Chad got me from the outpost to the campsite

Hodge and a couple others got me from the campsite to every vatozone/pep boys/advanced auto within 50 miles and back

Will got my crappy alt out and new alt in
i have a spare with a belt in my garage that i take wheeling from when tony lost his
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
i had mine replaced at 160k and swapped from a toyota auto parts recycling place for 60 bucks.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
newb here...

there's a huge range on when everyone's alternators had to be replaced. what causes an alternator to go out much quicker than someone elses?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
newb here...

there's a huge range on when everyone's alternators had to be replaced. what causes an alternator to go out much quicker than someone elses?
mud
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #20
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

Note the tow rig and off colored hood
Good times, good times.