Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loose ashtray that keeps opening? Here is the solution!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Yo Taco!
willtotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nice

Name: Will
willtotheumm's Tacoma Gallery
Loose ashtray that keeps opening? Here is the solution!

I got tired of the ashtray on my 03 constantly opening. Whether it was quick acceleration, or speed bumps, that ashtray always slid open. I tried the tape technique and didn't like it. Decided to try to find an alternative thats simple, and free!

EXCLAIMER: I am not liable for any undesired breaking of parts. PLEASE USE CAUTION! There isn't much going on, but nobody likes a part snapping or anything. That'll just make more work to do!

What you need:
20 minutes of time (less if you know the first steps)
1 Phillips screwdriver
1 Flathead screwdriver

Okay to start...

This is the work area:

Remove the ashtray and pull all the knobs off the climate control. You'll need the flathead screw driver to pull the faceplate for the climate control area. BE VERY CAREFUL! Mine has chipped in the past and the screw driver tab doesn't really work anymore. I use my finger to pop it out.

Now you have 2 screws to undo. You'll need the phillips screwdriver now. They are the circled ones. I prefer a magnetic one for the screw on the left. I've dropped it too many times.

Pull the shrouding off (a few tabs) and tilt it forward. You'll see 3 connectors attached to it.

Disconnect those 3. The light for the ash tray needed a gentle wiggle and tug. Don't pull too hard or else you might pull the wire from the socket.

Gently turn the shroud and lift up around the shifter. On the bottom you'll find the following...

Undo the 2 phillips screws and the metal part slides out. Once you have it out you'll have this.

Now those plastic parts slide out. What you need to do is find the tab holding each one on, and GENTLY push down on it. I used the flathead screwdriver.

The plastic part will slide out towards the front of the metal assembly. Again, be gentle. The plastic parts can be brittle. Once you get the part slid out, you'll find this on the back.

If your ashtray is ridiculously loose like mine, the metal spring will fall right out. Make sure to catch it with you hand. Simply squeeze the spring gently to give it more bend.

Place it back in the plastic and reverse all the steps! Go out and test drive your Taco to see if it slides out. I have no problems with mine whatsoever now!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
SWEET! I keep mine filled with change, so it's ALWAYS sliding out on me. I am going to give this a shot.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Yo Taco!
willtotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nicewilltotheumm is just really nice

Thats what sparked mine too. Now I actually have to pull on it to open it.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
You can take it out without taking the whole dash apart like that! Just get a short screwdriver and take the 2 screws out from the bottom!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Yo Taco!

I tried doing that but the screws holding the metal part on were so tight I couldn't get any leverage. But yes, that will work
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtotheumm View Post
I tried doing that but the screws holding the metal part on were so tight I couldn't get any leverage. But yes, that will work
if you have a 1/4 drive ratchet and a 6/7/8 mm (i forget which one) you can put a screw bit in the socket and use the ratchet as a screw driver
Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Yo Taco!

Haha true. I jumped the gun and tore it all apart. It wasn't the first time so it was pretty easy
Old 09-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
the most simple way to keep your ashtray from sliding open is to remove the metal track that it slides in ...take that metal piece and bend it to where the sides squeeze the sides of the ashtray tight when you insert it back in the metal bracket.

it took me about 5 min to do...and my tray doesnt move at all unless i pull or push it with my hand.

here's the pic of the metal bracket you want to slightly bend...

Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Thanks for the thread willtotheumm. The info was very helpful. No more annoying self opening ashtray.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Yo Taco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
Thanks for the thread willtotheumm. The info was very helpful. No more annoying self opening ashtray.
Welcome man! I got tired of it constantly opening too. I just spent the weekend camping and not once did it pop open.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Ima have to do this. Mine ALWAYS comes open. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
3fitty will become famous soon enough3fitty will become famous soon enough
Name: Lambone
3fitty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
You can take it out without taking the whole dash apart like that! Just get a short screwdriver and take the 2 screws out from the bottom!
x2. I did it without taking the whole dash apart. I couldn't pull the light off thought so I did it still halfway connected in the dash

Ashtray is no longer as loose as a $5 whore
Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Chris D. is on a distinguished road

Chris D.'s Tacoma Gallery
This is good info, when I launch at about 3K rpm and the locker does its thang,
the ash try is always one step behind..
Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
PL408 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joseph
PL408's Tacoma Gallery
Yes! the answer I have been looking for THANKS!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
This was the first thing I ever posted about. I tried the tape thing, only I used duct tape instead of electrical tape and it worked like a charm! Now the ash tray NEVER opens unless I want it to.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Great, mine is a change holder as well, and "ALLWAYS" slides out after a few minutes. I think I will fix it today.

THANKS.....!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Nice writeup I don't smoke and I got tired of it opening when wheelin so I just did this.

I works well unless your in 1st gear.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
The lazy mans version, but just as effective is to but scotch tape on the tracks.....works like a dream for me.