Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should i change out my shocks

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
ffr3064k is on a distinguished road

ffr3064k's Tacoma Gallery
Should i change out my shocks

I currently have the following set up on my 2003 4 wheel drive double cab.

Running Cooper STT 32 X 11.50 Tires, Bilstein 5100's set to 0 with Eibach 3 inch lift springs on the front. The rear is setup with OME Dakar 2.25 inch lift leaf packs and Skyjacker shocks. The problem is that it is very bouncy (mainly notice it on cement roads) I have been thinking of scrapping the Skyjacker shocks for Bilstein 5125's to try and improve the ride. I am happy with the setup for increased travel, flex, and offroading. I would just like to improve the feel on the open road if possible. I have also considered adding weight in the bed to try and reduce the bounce. I know many of you have a very similar setup on your trucks. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
When does the bounce occur on the road, is it when you hit big bumps or small bumps?
Is it a consistent bounce, if so your tiers may need to be rotated and balanced.
If it occurs when you hit small bumps it could be your shocks are too stiff, and the billys will fix that they are more of a spongy ride.
If it occurs when you hit big bumps your shocks are probably worn out.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffr3064k View Post
I currently have the following set up on my 2003 4 wheel drive double cab.

Running Cooper STT 32 X 11.50 Tires, Bilstein 5100's set to 0 with Eibach 3 inch lift springs on the front. The rear is setup with OME Dakar 2.25 inch lift leaf packs and Skyjacker shocks. The problem is that it is very bouncy (mainly notice it on cement roads) I have been thinking of scrapping the Skyjacker shocks for Bilstein 5125's to try and improve the ride. I am happy with the setup for increased travel, flex, and offroading. I would just like to improve the feel on the open road if possible. I have also considered adding weight in the bed to try and reduce the bounce. I know many of you have a very similar setup on your trucks. What do you think?
I have a similar problem when the bed is empty it seems a bit bouncy. I know I can add sand bags and it'll ride smooth but I'm wondering if replacing the rear shocks with a slightly longer set will help.

Currently running KYBs with Alcan 8s. The KBYs are for extended length of 2" over stock. The Alcans gave about 2.25" of lift. On The trail this combo is great. On the street it's a bit bouncy.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

I knew the shocks were not worn out as they were only 3 months old and the tires were balanced recently and they were rotated yesterday. Still, had the constant bounce over small bumps. Almost could feel every crack in the road. I added weight in the bed this morning and still felt little difference.

As a result, I changed out the rear skyjacker shocks for the Bilsteins. What a incredible turn around. The ride is much smoother now. With my setup it is still stiff but flexible with great articulation for offroad and is very comfortable on the highway and around town as well.

The set up again is Bilstein 5100's set to zero with Eibach 3 inch lift coil springs in the front. On the back I have OME Dakar 2.25 inch lift leaf springs with Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. Total cost for the suspension setup was 850.00. For tires I am running Cooper STT mud terrain 32 x 11.50 15 inch tires. I highly recommend this setup and learn from me..don't waste your money on blocks, spacers, and cheap shocks.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffr3064k View Post
I knew the shocks were not worn out as they were only 3 months old and the tires were balanced recently and they were rotated yesterday. Still, had the constant bounce over small bumps. Almost could feel every crack in the road. I added weight in the bed this morning and still felt little difference.

As a result, I changed out the rear skyjacker shocks for the Bilsteins. What a incredible turn around. The ride is much smoother now. With my setup it is still stiff but flexible with great articulation for offroad and is very comfortable on the highway and around town as well.

The set up again is Bilstein 5100's set to zero with Eibach 3 inch lift coil springs in the front. On the back I have OME Dakar 2.25 inch lift leaf springs with Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. Total cost for the suspension setup was 850.00. For tires I am running Cooper STT mud terrain 32 x 11.50 15 inch tires. I highly recommend this setup and learn from me..don't waste your money on blocks, spacers, and cheap shocks.
Did yo go with 5100s or 5125s as you posted earlier?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Toytec gave me 5100's. I believe the part number was BE5-D560-T0. Downsouth motorsports also showed the same part number online in the complete Bilstein package.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Wrong. 5100's on the rear were bought and installed today from Toytec. The 5125 post was done lastnight. Toytec is a 20 minute drive for me.