Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fox Coil-over Question.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Fox Coil-over Question.

I am thinking of buying a Fox 2.0 x 8.5 Coil-Over with Remote Reservoir. Would this shock be fine on my 96 Tacoma ex cab, or is it just too small in diameter? I want to have good flex and have good high speed (20-40mph) off-road capability.
Link for the shocks: http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod.../productID/112

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! I dont think those are the right ones for your truck, but someone else should chime in soon.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I do not intend for them to OME replacement but for a custom application.

They will still go where the old shock goes but in the log run I am working on a LT (long travel) kit.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
I do not intend for them to OME replacement but for a custom application.

They will still go where the old shock goes but in the log run I am working on a LT (long travel) kit.
Well then you should be OK. The stroke seems a little short though...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well then you should be OK. The stroke seems a little short though...
x2 especially if you plan to LT the rear.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
This is for the front. I was going to run these in place of my strut until I have money for the LT kit. And these are just short enough in collapsed length to where the bump stops hit be for the shock bottoms out, but could I put a bump stop on the shaft of the coil-over?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Why waste the money (that you will need for the LT) to buy those and customize the front end to get them to fit, then turn around and have to uncustomize the front to get the LT to fit?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking there was little customization to the front end for these to fit. I think I will only have to move the brake lines and drill holes, or find a place to mount my reservoir. The LT kit is a long way off, until I am done with high school/college, and this is my senior year in high school. ( no time to work because I play football, basketball, and run track )
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
I am thinking of buying a Fox 2.0 x 8.5 Coil-Over with Remote Reservoir. Would this shock be fine on my 96 Tacoma ex cab, or is it just too small in diameter? I want to have good flex and have good high speed (20-40mph) off-road capability.
Link for the shocks: http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod.../productID/112

Thanks.
I wouldn't recommend those for you, for the fact that they're only available with a 5/8" shaft. You should really be running a 7/8" shaft....

Marco
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
I wouldn't recommend those for you, for the fact that they're only available with a 5/8" shaft. You should really be running a 7/8" shaft....

Marco
Would it be fine if I were to only use it without a LT kit or is the 5/8" shaft just too small for my truck?