1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you think of this modded '94 for sale?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by j2x, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    j2x

j2x [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Folks, first post here but I'm well familiar with other online forums. I want a truck that I can commute in and have some fun with on the weekends. All the research I've done has pointed me solidly at a Toyota Tacoma. I have a budget of about $6k, though.

A craigslist ad drew my attention this morning and I wondered what you all thought, since all the mods mean mostly nothing to me and the engine swap is more than a little off-putting. But, the stock Tacoma's in my price range generally have over 200k miles around here.

1994 Lifted Toyota pickup reg. cab, 22re, 5speed. lots of work done. 6in lift with 35 Toyo mts, 529 gears with v6 3rds, cold air intake, k&n air filter, header, bored over throttle body, cam, and over sized spark plug wires. full Magnaflow exhaust with high flow cat and muffler. 4 runner bucket seats with center console, 2 10in subs in custom box, cd player, and cb radio. 250,000 miles on truck 50,000 on complete motor rebuilt and 3000 miles on new head. lots of extra parts on this truck. I've owned it for the last 7 years and bought it stock. selling because i want to get a new Tacoma. I do have all the receipts for the work done to it for the past 7 years.

Any suggestions, advice, etc are appreciated.

2. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
  3. Sep 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    j2x

j2x [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    [​IMG]
    this is the picture in the craigslist ad. not sure what you get out of it.

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    The 22re engine is pretty much bullet proof if you really want it. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have it looked at

5. Sep 4, 2010 at 2:12 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    As far as the mods go... This is info based on stuff I've read or experienced with a late model Tacoma, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

The lift.. Personally, 6" is quite a bit for us, but if that is what you want, you should be good as long as it isn't a bad brand. Its really quite a big of work to go to a lower lift from a 6" though, assuming the lift is similar to 1st gen tacoma's. So, if you want to keep it a 6" lift, great, otherwise, move on.

Engine. Any engine in a toyota (except maybe the 3.0) is going to be great. The 22re is the 4 cyl though, but as long as you understand that, you'll be more than fine.

Your 35" Toyo's probably wont last very long on the street and might be quite loud. (I had 265/75R16 Toyt MT and they were very loud, cupped way too quickly, and wore down just as fast). If you're going to use this for a driver, plan on changing those out shortly.

529 gears. All I have to say is wow... With those wheels and gear ratio, it really wouldn't surprise me if you would need about 4000 rpm in 5th gear to go 60. Also note that since the gears aren't factory, your speedo is going to be way off.

Cold air intake. Pretty useless for horse power, but it adds a nice sound (to me).

The other engine mods. Not really sure on the 22re, but I wouldn't expect them to really add a lot unless maybe you were to add a charger or something. More likely he's just telling you what items have been replaced when the engine was rebuilt.

Magnaflow exhaust. I really dont think the stock stuff has all that much of a problem making the new exhaust a necessity. Its fairly new so at least you wont have to worry about it rusting out too soon. I like the sound from my Magnaflow, but I really dont think it made any performance difference.

Audio, seats, etc. Whatever you like.

Not sure what he did to the head to require it to be replaced after 50k miles. Maybe he overheated and warped it or something. A new engine at 200k isn't anything to be alarmed about (and is actually a plus), but I think I would ask why he needed to replace the head.

6. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Regarding some of the 22re mods, I was looking into this on my 93 before it was totalled, and consistently found that the headers were the single most effective mod for that engine, the next being opening up the exhaust a bit. That engine has a tremendous history of experimentation and mods. Can't remember all the numbers, etc., but time after time, folks whp knew what they were doing with that engine and dyno'd results found this to be the case (google...). Opening the exhaust too much, of course, would lead to low-end torque loss. I want to say 2.25 dia. was the maximum effect. The cams, CAI, etc. had minimal effect. The best thing about the engine, you get to adjust the valves every 15k. Seriously, I miss doing that.

As far as a daily driver/commuter....no brainer...skip it. This is a weekend toy and ongoing project. At 250k miles, stuff will keep wearing out, which sucks when you are just trying to get to work. Keep looking, and you will eventually find a suitable later Taco, especially if a 4 cyl. standard cab suits your needs. With higher mileage trucks, stockers will have the greatest possible future longevity.

Products Discussed in

To Top