Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS Light

Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
ABS Light

Well, almost 2 years and 10,000 miles and my taco has finally given me trouble for the first time. Well, kinda. Yesterday, I got my little OBD-2 bluetooth adaptor so I could use the Torque app on my droid to monitor stuff like a scanguage. I don't know if it was coincidence, but right after I plugged it in my abs light was on. I thought it was just on because I had the ignition on but the engine not running, but it stayed on. It flashes slowly for a few seconds when I turn the engine on, then flashes rapidly for about the first 1/4 mile, then goes off. It comes back on every time I hit the brakes to stop, then goes off when I go. I slammed on the brakes in the rain yesterday, ABS still is functional. I hooked it up to the super fancy computer in the auto shop at school and there were no codes. It went off when I took it back to park it after class but was back after school. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
just for fun you did check your fluid level? Also did you remove the adapter, you know just to be sure?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did take the adaptor out, still came back so i put it back in. The Torque app works great though... I'll pop the hood tomorrow and check the fluid but it seemed fine probably a week ago when I was under there for something.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know why, and want to know why. This has something to do with the hookup. The 04 is different from other models. Again I have no idea why thins happened, but would like to know, and know how to fix it.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #5

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
I dont know why, and want to know why. This has something to do with the hookup. The 04 is different from other models. Again I have no idea why thins happened, but would like to know, and know how to fix it.
The hookup? Please explain.

My brake fluid was right on the money. I checked today.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It may be 01-04? Not sure. I know the Ultragauge does this on my 04. By hookup I mean the cable that hooks up to your computer port. I really have no idea what I am talking about, I just know the light comes on.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #9

I figured it out, by accident. I may be able to recreate.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Well, almost 2 years and 10,000 miles and my taco has finally given me trouble for the first time. Well, kinda. Yesterday, I got my little OBD-2 bluetooth adaptor so I could use the Torque app on my droid to monitor stuff like a scanguage. I don't know if it was coincidence, but right after I plugged it in my abs light was on. I thought it was just on because I had the ignition on but the engine not running, but it stayed on. It flashes slowly for a few seconds when I turn the engine on, then flashes rapidly for about the first 1/4 mile, then goes off. It comes back on every time I hit the brakes to stop, then goes off when I go. I slammed on the brakes in the rain yesterday, ABS still is functional. I hooked it up to the super fancy computer in the auto shop at school and there were no codes. It went off when I took it back to park it after class but was back after school. Anyone have any ideas?
Shit! 2 years and you only put 10k miles on it, wow in my dreams I do that in 4-5 months!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
To clarify, low fluid levels will not make the check engine light come one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
It's not just 04 that is different. It the ABS that came standard on 03-04 that is part of the issue. For 01-02 ABS was an option, I don't have ABS.

According to this post on TTORA: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...25#post1998825

The info is for a Scan Guage but it's the pinouts & communications method of the 01-04s is what's important & would apply to any OBD reader that behaves this way.

The stuff that I highlight in BOLD is the issue:

Quote:
The Scangauge II can communicate with the engine computer in three ways depending on what the manufacturer used. The three methods are CAN, PWM, and ISO. Each method uses its own set of pins in the OBD connector.

PWM systems would use pins 2 and 10, CAN would use pins 6 and 14. Toyota used the ISO communications method in the Tacoma which is on pins 7 and 15 in the connector.

The Scangauge doesn't know which system a car uses so it tries to talk to the car all three ways. It chooses whichever method gets a response from the computer.

Since Toyota didn't use CAN or PWM, they didn't need pins 2, 6, 10, or 14. They instead decided to use those pins for other things.

Pin 14 in the Tacoma is the "Ts" pin for ABS diagnostics.
Pin 6 in the Tacoma is the "AB" pin for clearing SRS codes.

The reason the ABS light was blinking with the Scangauge attached was that sometimes it tried to talk to the ABS computer and accidentally put the ABS system into a diagnostic mode.

Since we know what communications method Toyota used in the Tacoma we can ignore the other two (or at least the offending method, CAN).

I modified my cable and simply didn't connect the OBD pins 6 and 14 to the Scangauge. I haven't had a blinking ABS light since.

The cable that connects to the Scangauge uses a common RJ-45 plug. If you look at it from the top (contacts at the top, cable at the bottom, tab not on the side you are looking at), pin 1 is on the left and pin 8 is on the right. Disconnect pins 2 and 3.

Here is the pinout of the Scangauge cable (sorry if it is hard to read... There doesn't seem to be a fixed width font):

RJ45, OBD2, Function
1, 4, Chassis Ground
1, 5, Signal Ground
2, 6, CAN High
3, 14, CAN Low
4, 2, Bus+ J1850 (PWM)
5, 10, Bus- J1850 (PWM)
6, 7, ISO 9141 K-Line
7, 15, ISO 1941 L-Line
8, 16, Battery Voltage
2nd gens don't have the ABS issue cause they probably switched over to CAN.

As far as the Ultra-Guage, it doesn't have a force read ISO mode only like the Scan Guage. Modifying the UG so that pin 14 is not connected would probably resolve the issue. The guy disconnected pin 6 as well but that is for the airbag & there have been no reports of having an airbag issue.

As for the OP, if he has the option of changing the communications configuration on his set up to read ISO only then that would resolve his issue.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #12

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENIOR TACOROJO View Post
Shit! 2 years and you only put 10k miles on it, wow in my dreams I do that in 4-5 months!
Most of the first year was on a restricted license, so I wasn't driving too much. But I do almost exclusively city driving. The Taco doesn't do road trips. And on the light, why does it only flash when i hit the brakes? Is the ABS computer not always "active"? I would think if it were in diagnostic mode it would be constantly flashing. I'll leave the adaptor out for awhile and see if it goes away. Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
I had Toyota run diagnostics on my ABS light...Report came back throwing codes 51 & 44 (Requires ABS Module Assm) $1,700.00 I'm just gonna pull the ABS fuse lol...

Here's some info:

Studies show that ABS has no real-world effect on dry-surface braking, ABS-equipped vehicles take longer to stop on ice than non-ABS vehicles, ABS-equipped vehicles are more prone to roll-over accidents than non-ABS vehicles, ABS-equipped vehicles are involved more often in single car fatal accidents than non-ABS vehicles, and drivers of ABS-equipped vehicles tend to drive faster and apply their brakes later than non-ABS drivers.