Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My '01 Tacoma

Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
WhyNotFab is on a distinguished road
Name: Ricky
WhyNotFab's Tacoma Gallery
My '01 Tacoma

Just got my first Tacoma Tuesday, it's a 2001 4x4 SR5..
So far I've cleaned it up, painted some stuff, flushed the cooling system, changed oil, replaced blown bulbs.. minor things it needed. It has 198,000 miles but runs great, everything is in great condition just needs some TLC. I'm going to continue working on it tomorrow while I have a few days off.. change the differential oil, clean the K&N filter.. etc.

I got the windows tinted (5% tint) and a Flowmaster muffler with turn downs yesterday.. and I ordered blacked out lights for the front/rear/3rd brake light, and also a billet grille. I had a soft tonnaeu cover on my S-10 that also fit, so I put it on, so far the truck already looks like a different truck. Can't wait for everything else to arrive! I have a ton of other plans for it also..

Here are the pics so far,

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
very nice, that tint is really dark!

Is it a v6?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Thanks! He only had to do the front sides/moonroof/windshield strip, the rear was already done (difference in color isn't too noticeable, especially from outside).. but I'm going to get a new windshield sometime and get it tinted with clear tint that blocks out almost the same amount of heat as the 5% that's on the rest. Keep the inside nice & cool!

It's the V6, and so far seems to get pretty good gas mileage but I'll do whatever possible to increase it since every little bit helps lol.

These forums are great, already browsing around and learning a lot.. writing things down I need to pick up tomorrow haha.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNotFab View Post
Thanks! He only had to do the front sides/moonroof/windshield strip, the rear was already done (difference in color isn't too noticeable, especially from outside).. but I'm going to get a new windshield sometime and get it tinted with clear tint that blocks out almost the same amount of heat as the 5% that's on the rest. Keep the inside nice & cool!

It's the V6, and so far seems to get pretty good gas mileage but I'll do whatever possible to increase it since every little bit helps lol.

These forums are great, already browsing around and learning a lot.. writing things down I need to pick up tomorrow haha.
nice. I have the same configuration and I used to get around 21 mpg before the new tires. Now its at around 19 mpg.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
I have 285/75/16, going to keep them and get new 16" wheels, but once these wear out I may go a little larger (if possible, the truck is lifted already but I'm unsure of the exact amount)..

Just looked at your truck, looks great! Really like how you de-chromed everything!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
braaap

Yeah, looks like around 3" of lift on yours. You can go a little larger but it requires some pretty serious trimming of the fenders to fit them. Your current tires are ~32.5" tall (33's) and the next common size up is 35's. Mine are 255/85/16 which are about 33.2" tall, but are really narrow.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice looking rig you have!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
clean for 198k nice rig
Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
good looking tacoma welcome to tw!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What are you going to do for suspension? I think it would bea good time to get some black wheel and mud tires!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
For now I'm going to leave it how it is, but once these tires wear out, if I decide to go larger then I'd like to lift it more. I'm considering these wheels though,

What do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Do a headlight restore on it too. I used a method on mine that i found on youtube where you used a razor blade standing straight up, and scrape the yellow off of the head lights then you use a buffer and compound and it brings them right back to shiny.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
The new headlights are on their way, but I will probably restore the stock ones and keep them somewhere just in case, or maybe someone else needs them. I'll check YouTube, thanks!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
I used to spend the time sanding & polishing my headlights every so many months. I got tired of it. Aftermarket headlights are cheap & IMO well worth buying & saving the time to do the restore.

If your headlights are just a little hazy than I would say do the restore. If they turned yellow already get new ones. I got mine for $60, I was worried about fitment & beam quality but they turned out to be pretty good. And they look way better than a restored headlight. When these turn yellow again, I won't even bother restoring & will buy another set.

Hopefully they'll last a while. Everytime I wash the truck, I wax the headlights too.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #15
I posted a pic of the headlight/corner/bumper light kit i ordered,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/111736-bulbs-01-tacoma.html I had a couple questions about bulbs.. but then I realized the trim around the corners is black, so it won't match the grille shell I guess I'm picky haha.. but I'm not sure if it'll look right. I could always do a black grille shell, with the billet grille I have on the way.. but I kind of like the chrome.

Anyone happen to have a pic of one with a black shell/billet grille?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
thats not a bad lookin rig ya got there,looks like its in good condition
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Thanks everyone!

About to change the oil in the differentials, transfer case, & transmission.. trying to get as much done as possible since I'm off work till Tuesday then it'll be back to long days & no time to work on it as much haha.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking truck bud!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
nice 4x4 man, keep the stock wheels though!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Haha I want new ones!