Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

transmission cooler??

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
transmission cooler??

i normally dont tow anymore than my bass boat occasionally, so would it be a good idea for me to get a transmission cooler for my truck?? im thinking it would be a good idea. the truck has a hitch(reese) and trailer plug-in, but i think someone added it after they bought it originally, as im pretty sure it aint factory. opinions?? pros/cons?? which one to get?? thanks!!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4x4 said we have a small cooler already built into the radiator for the tranny-but I would personally want a good one if your going to haul ANYTHING especially if HILLS are involved. Might as well outfit this baby now Will while you have the notion!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Chris4x4 said we have a small cooler already built into the radiator for the tranny-but I would personally want a good one if your going to haul ANYTHING especially if HILLS are involved. Might as well outfit this baby now Will while you have the notion!
yeah,i will wait on him to respond, see if he can give me a link to a decent one that doesnt cost alot.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it. I rarely tow with my Taco but I would not own one without the towing package. It never hurts to keep everything cool.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaze_95 View Post
B&M makes a decent one that is $50. they are fairly simple to install.If you look at your fan clutch mount and it is green, your truck does noy have tow package.
actuallt, i think the mount on my 04 is red. what does that mean?? i didnt really see a transmission cooler by the radiator.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #7

will one of these work and be any good for my transmission system??

http://www.autoanything.com/coolers/65A3046A0A0.aspx
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Will, Do they have one that is a little larger? An aftermarket tranny cooler si ALWAYS a good thing. Especially if towing. B&M makes a good product. I just finished installing one on a friends truck. Its a simple install, just make sure to top off your fluid when your finished.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Will, Do they have one that is a little larger? An aftermarket tranny cooler si ALWAYS a good thing. Especially if towing. B&M makes a good product. I just finished installing one on a friends truck. Its a simple install, just make sure to top off your fluid when your finished.
those are the ones i found online, but i think i can find them larger.......is that needed, or will one of those work??
Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
those are the ones i found online, but i think i can find them larger.......is that needed, or will one of those work??
That B&M should be fine. Its a good cooler.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That B&M should be fine. Its a good cooler.
i also found one by perma-cool...........

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...spx?pid=104636

not a bad price either!! what ya think about this one????
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i also found one by perma-cool...........

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...spx?pid=104636

not a bad price either!! what ya think about this one????
It doesnt have any specs. What is the Lenghth width and height?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Hey tacomaman did you ever get a trans cooler?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
thanks phantom
Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
Hey tacomaman did you ever get a trans cooler?
man, with all i have had going on lately, i havent had a chance to do anything. im still gonna get one though.........to be on the safe side.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like they don't cost too much....It's probably a good idea to have one if you tow alot....
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ers.shtml#main
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Seems like they don't cost too much....It's probably a good idea to have one if you tow alot....
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ers.shtml#main
yeah, you can get them relatively cheap, and should be easy to install. and all in all.....i think it would be a decent benefit for the tranny even if you dont tow alot.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, that's true....
Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
YeAH i see they are a decent price. I called a transmission place and they were saying like 400 bucks for a trucool installed and everything. I want to get a really good one. I wont mind spending a 150 if i can put it on myself. How do you tell which one you need. I have been seeing some sites that have different sizes.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
YeAH i see they are a decent price. I called a transmission place and they were saying like 400 bucks for a trucool installed and everything. I want to get a really good one. I wont mind spending a 150 if i can put it on myself. How do you tell which one you need. I have been seeing some sites that have different sizes.
just remember...the bigger the better, but some of the ones i linked will do a pretty damn good job. just make sure you have room in front of the radiator to place it, so the air can hit it pretty freely.