Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blowing fuses radio/power port/clock

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
KC Bob is on a distinguished road
Marines: 3rd MAW
KC Bob's Tacoma Gallery
Blowing fuses radio/power port/clock

I think I've got a short on my 2002 Tacoma: I hit a slight bump the other day (good old KC road work) and the clock and radio went out. Found and replaced the fuse, worked for a while, then another little bump, and pop! Now when I replace them, they pop as soon as I hit the ignition. What's the deal?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
charliebucket is on a distinguished road
Name: steve
charliebucket's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I just purchased my first Toyota over the weekend; a 2003 PreRunner and I have the same problem. No radio, clock or dome lights - when I install the new fuse it blows. Have you had any luck ? Was hoping for some help before I start trying to track down the problem.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I sounds like your wire shielding has rubbed off and it's grounding out. You going to have to get under the dash with a flashlight and trace the wire until you find the short. When and if you do find it cut the wire at the short and slide on some shrink tubing and solder the wire back together and put the shrink tubing over the exposed wire and heat it up. You should be good as new after that.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
KC Bob is on a distinguished road
Marines: 3rd MAW
KC Bob's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give that a try! Thanks for your help.

Bob
Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
98lowflyingtacoma is on a distinguished road

98lowflyingtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I tell you what... had the same thing happening to me and it was driving me crazy. Went through 4 fuses before I tracked it down. I thought at first it was the add in wire that I put into my fuse box under hood but nope. Then was thinking I was over drawing ampage on the same line as I had a few things wired into it... Nope. Then decided to rip open the dash and see if anything was lose as I just recently had a new radio installed... Everything seemed ok. Moved power wires around a bit. Then again, another bump, fuse! Ugg... tore it apart again as I did not have anything plugged into it. Noticed that on the back of the cigarte lighters there are a few exposed contacts that if touched against a conductor short out in an instant. I had my short wave radio antenna connector that must have been touching it when truck hit a bump.

End result... covered all the 12v power adapters with black electrical tape, there are three in my truck, 2 12v and one cig lighter. Has been running good since then... about 2 months now. And I think the person at the dealer has forgotten my name since I Was not making weekly trips there for a new fuse.