Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Buddy Installation Qs

Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Buddy Installation Qs

I bought a bed buddy to make loading multiple bikes less of a pain in the neck. I gave it to my mechanic to install when he was doing my timing belt but i needed the truck back before he has a chance to do it. He said that it would be a lengthy process, involving lifting the bed off the frame or something to install. I found this to be odd since Bed Buddy was advertised as being easy to install. Does anyone here have one on their Gen 1 taco? how did you install? how long did it take? I've heard of people tossing the factory fasteners and going with their own. Should I do that? My mechanic said he would feel safer reinforcing it with a plate of steel, since he believes the front of the tacos bed is pretty thin. Did anyone else do this? would it be necessary?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Bed Buddy
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah.... just so none motorcyclists don't think i'm installing some type of homo-erotic apparatus in the back of my taco....

http://www.discountramps.com/bed-buddy.htm
Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Yeah.... just so none motorcyclists don't think i'm installing some type of homo-erotic apparatus in the back of my taco....

http://www.discountramps.com/bed-buddy.htm
I wasn't thinking homo, but maybe bi...

As far as durability, if you dont use the tie downs on it, it really woudn't be more than a spacer. The instructions seem to point towards some type of anchor bolts, which depending on the type it is, the materials its made out of, and the amount of holes it has will determine its strength. It would also make a difference to me if you could close the tailgate or not. Personally, I wouldn't use the tie downs on it for anything but extra support unless you do as your mechanic said and reinforce it. I honestly dont think some steel plate is necessary. Guess you could get some 3/16"x2"x48" or something at Home Depot for the back side of the bed, but I think you'll be just fine with some large washers, lock washers, and real bolts.