Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing spare cable hoist??

Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing spare cable hoist??

Alright, so I am finally getting around to replacing my cable hoist for my spare. Thieves cut the cable to steal my spare!!!

Anyone replaced this thing yet?

I think I am looking at it correctly that the only way to do this is remove the rear cross member?????

Thanks,
Peter
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
i will take a look at mine tomorrow, its not being used. so if you need one pm me.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
i will take a look at mine tomorrow, its not being used. so if you need one pm me.

I appreciate the offer, but, I already have the part. Just wondering if anyone has any experience replacing it?

I guess MOST people don't live in a part of the country where their spare would be stolen.

Peter
Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
yea the south is great. i can leave my windows down and my doors unlocked all the time
Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Should be four bolts in the corners?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Should be four bolts in the corners?
Unfortunately the bracket is threaded, and I believe the bolts come thru the top??

The way I see it, the ONLY way to do it is to remove the cross member on the frame.

I am hoping someone else chimes in here to tell me I am wrong with an easier way.

Peter
Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
yea the south is great. i can leave my windows down and my doors unlocked all the time
meh your parinoid i leave my keys in the ignition
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
Unfortunately the bracket is threaded, and I believe the bolts come thru the top??

The way I see it, the ONLY way to do it is to remove the cross member on the frame.

I am hoping someone else chimes in here to tell me I am wrong with an easier way.

Peter
unbolt the bed and raise it up to get the bolts out
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post

Peter

Ok this is what I found : On my 2000 TRD there is 4 nuts/bolts holding the cable mechanism to the cross member, the bolts/studs sticking down may be tack welded into place, even if there not try this first, spray the nuts liberally with WD-40 or another penetrating lubtricant, let it set for a bit ,then get the ratchet/extension/socket making sure its on the nut securely & give them a quick & firm "pop" to see if they break loose without spinning the bolthead on top, if this doesn't work & if yours is like mine, theres 6 nuts/bolts holding the cross member in place after you take these out, knock the passenger side of the cross member forward & it should slide enough to turn it & drop out of frame sideways avoiding rear shock mount/cables/brake lines/etc;......
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
blackuni is on a distinguished road
blackuni's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, mine too

Yeah, my cable rusted through and dropped my spare in the road too (2003 Dbl Cab). WTF! Luckily I was only pulling out of the driveway at the time. The lip of the driveway has a little ramp/angle to it so it must of been just enough of a bump to give away. I don't even want to think about what could've happened if I was on a busy road!

Soooo, what's the verdict on costs for a replacement and how difficult this is to do? I haven't had a chance to get under there to look yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackuni View Post
Yeah, my cable rusted through and dropped my spare in the road too (2003 Dbl Cab). WTF! Luckily I was only pulling out of the driveway at the time. The lip of the driveway has a little ramp/angle to it so it must of been just enough of a bump to give away. I don't even want to think about what could've happened if I was on a busy road!

Soooo, what's the verdict on costs for a replacement and how difficult this is to do? I haven't had a chance to get under there to look yet.
I have the whole assembly not being used
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
in the last 3 years i have had my truck broken into twice and my house broken into once, my buddy has his dodge stolen and broken into a few times. now i check and recheck if my truck is locked at night....i do live in baton rouge right by LSU's campus so there are a few bad parts pretty close by but its ridiculous around here sometimes

also my tool box is locked in the bec with a cable and masterlock and spare tire holder is welded to the bed with a lock also

OP - i have the entire assembly not being used either
Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
I still haven't gotten to this yet, fall came, and then winter, and laying on the ground trying to get this done in the middle of winter here in Chicago...not going to happen!

So for the time being the spare just sits in the bed with the cap locked.

At the time though, I did by a used cable hoist off of eBay for around $30

Peter
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
blackuni is on a distinguished road
blackuni's Tacoma Gallery
Just the spare anchor part

Well I finally had a chance to get under my truck to see what the deal was. The entire spare hoist and cable are intact and fine. It was only the actual anchor part at the end of the cable that goes through the center of the spare tire to hold it up that rusted out. So for now, I think I'm going to look into maybe replacing that piece with something else to do the job of holding the actual spare. Might beat having to buy and replace the entire spare hoist unit given the potential headache that might be with the bed, etc.

I'll upload a pic when I get a chance and see if anyone has any good suggestions on what I could use.