Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100's correct setting, pic inside!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's correct setting, pic inside!

Ok so I got my 5100's from Sonny at DSMS (great service and shipping btw!) and I want to confirm I have the right setting for 1" of lift for my appt on Thursday. I moved the snap ring to the middle groove, and so the perch just slides down and sets on top of it, right? Anything else I need to consider or tell my installer? Thanks for the help!

And here's a bonus pic of a rack of baby backs I did today on the smoker - 1 hour smoked with hickory, 3 hours in the oven at 235. Look at that thick pink smoke ring!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
at both pics

I think you got it right bud
Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
send me some of those ribs and ill tell you if your shocks are set up right

jk, that is set up right, your good to go.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
Ok so I got my 5100's from Sonny at DSMS (great service and shipping btw!) and I want to confirm I have the right setting for 1" of lift for my appt on Thursday. I moved the snap ring to the middle groove, and so the perch just slides down and sets on top of it, right? Anything else I need to consider or tell my installer? Thanks for the help!

And here's a bonus pic of a rack of baby backs I did today on the smoker - 1 hour smoked with hickory, 3 hours in the oven at 235. Look at that thick pink smoke ring!

Dude, I hear your concern in the question. Bottom line is you have no real options with the 3 notch billies. You know the bottom one is 0 and the top one is maximum (presumably 2.5"s). Only the middle one remains. It will be what it will be. And it will be perfect for your setup!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
send me some of those ribs and ill tell you if your shocks are set up right

jk, that is set up right, your good to go.
Thanks man, wasn't sure if the perch slides freely until the coil sits on it or if there was something I needed to snug down so that it is set in place beforehand. Is there a certain positioning of the perch, does it have to line up a certain way?

Also, do they normally come with bushings? Sonny said no bushings or dust boots yet my 5125's had boots and all 4 had bushings??

Oh and the ribs were housed by me and my wife about 3 hours ago, they never stood a chance. Cause of the quick responses (thanks guys) here's two more pics:

Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery

Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OH MY GOD! those are the best looking ribs I have ever seen!

No it does not matter how you position the perch. And you have to reuse the old bushing for the top plate.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Sport Rally'er

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
OH MY GOD! those are the best looking ribs I have ever seen!

No it does not matter how you position the perch. And you have to reuse the old bushing for the top plate.
Ok good to know, thanks m8. So it should be straightforward for my guy to do the install, I'll just footnote to reuse the top plate bushings, new bushings elsewhere.

They were real good, with homemade BBQ sauce to boot. The actual rib bones pulled back about 1" and they were just short of fall off the bone (which is actually where competition BBQ'ers usually like them, as do I - I like a little tug and pull when I clamp on to a rib).

steve o - you get your vibes fixed on your lift?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
Ok good to know, thanks m8. So it should be straightforward for my guy to do the install, I'll just footnote to reuse the top plate bushings, new bushings elsewhere.

They were real good, with homemade BBQ sauce to boot. The actual rib bones pulled back about 1" and they were just short of fall off the bone (which is actually where competition BBQ'ers usually like them, as do I - I like a little tug and pull when I clamp on to a rib).

steve o - you get your vibes fixed on your lift?
Nope, still have some vibes but I think its from one of my rear tires being out of round. I have had them balanced 2 times and dropped my carrier bearing 1/4". The thing is it vibrated when I had the new tires on the stock suspension so I don't think the driveline is the problem.