Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Rust Issue expanded to 2004??

Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
des kaiser is on a distinguished road
des kaiser's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Rust Issue expanded to 2004??

Just got a cell phone message from my dealer about my 2001 Tacoma frame rust concerns. They said my VIN is most definatley included and the free rust inspections have been expanded up to the 2004 model year. Take it for what it's worth but I have it saved on my cell phone and the Toyota delaer sent it marked URGENT.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
IMO Toyota oughta give WHAT YOU PAID FOR THE TRUCK NEW!!! My understanding is they give you one&12 times the KBB?? Theyre gettin off EASY for putting frames w/LOWGRADE steel on these trucks What did they do make a deal with CHINA?? Imagine the cost of you and your family members' medical if your truck broke in half doin 70!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thats reall strange. It has to be a problem with the way they are applying the anti rust coating. I understand the frames are made in the USA by Dana corp.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats reall strange. It has to be a problem with the way they are applying the anti rust coating. I understand the frames are made in the USA by Dana corp.
Yeah but wher'd they get the steel is what I wonder! Remember the problems with rust-thru in the early 70/s on GM cars cuz they were made with inferior steel from china
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Yeah but wher'd they get the steel is what I wonder! Remember the problems with rust-thru in the early 70/s on GM cars cuz they were made with inferior steel from china
Hmmmm....I think your right. Not sure where they get it from. It could be out sorced from anywhere.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #6

It seems Dana uses Recycled steel. Still cant find the origine of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But the frames are rusting from the inside out. Do manufacturers rust coat the inside of the frame? I thought they only coated the outside.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I better look at my frame and check it out... I really hope I dont got frame rust. I new the older Tacomas had this problem, But it sucks that they now extended it to the 01-04 models.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
I better look at my frame and check it out... I really hope I dont got frame rust. I new the older Tacomas had this problem, But it sucks that they now extended it to the 01-04 models.
I saw mine and there's not a hint of rust to be found! I think this whole thing is a batch of bad steel that got into a certain group of frames-which is why Toyota is addressing this according t VIN numbers....which PISSES me off cuz they know EXACTLY which batch it is
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #10

Im not sure how people figured that the frames are rusting fom "the inside out". The frames are coated with an Anti corosion coating. They generally start to rust where the coating is the thinnest, or not applied well. Useually near the edges. Depending on the environment and other variables, the rust will travel. The frames are coated inside and out. From what I have learned it seems that the faultiy frames are due to some crap steel (what Ridgerunner said) that Dana received. Im still awaiting a reply from an e-mail I sent to them about the rust issue, and where they get their steel from.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Im not sure how people figured that the frames are rusting fom "the inside out". The frames are coated with an Anti corosion coating. They generally start to rust where the coating is the thinnest, or not applied well. Useually near the edges. Depending on the environment and other variables, the rust will travel. The frames are coated inside and out. From what I have learned it seems that the faultiy frames are due to some crap steel (what Ridgerunner said) that Dana received. Im still awaiting a reply from an e-mail I sent to them about the rust issue, and where they get their steel from.
Thats COOL Chris if they say china Ima gonna fall off the chair!! Thatd be the straw that breaks it in my mind!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #12
des kaiser is on a distinguished road
des kaiser's Tacoma Gallery
Conflciting info from the dealer on frame inspection. See my other post on Rust concerns 2001 Tacoma.

Unless your Tacoma has PERFORATION OF THE FRAME to the point that you can hit it with a hammer and frame crumbles, your truck is considered FINE. That's what the teenager at the dealer, excuse me "specially trained corrosion technician" told me.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #13
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
Found rust

I recently looked at my 06 and it has exterior frame rust. I thought about painting it myself, then thought better of it.
Not happy with seeing rust on my Toyota with only 12,000 miles.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by des kaiser View Post
excuse me "specially trained corrosion technician" told me.
lmfao!!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the 04 i just got is rusted all to hell underneath, but its from where the previous jackass owner always offroaded it and never cleaned underneath the truck.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
the 04 i just got is rusted all to hell underneath, but its from where the previous jackass owner always offroaded it and never cleaned underneath the truck.

sounds like my truck...some jackass always takes it in the dirt and never bothers to really clean it

its hard to tell if mine is rust or caked on mud though...theyre about the same color i think
Old 07-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
sounds like my truck...some jackass always takes it in the dirt and never bothers to really clean it

its hard to tell if mine is rust or caked on mud though...theyre about the same color i think
pressure washer and water are our friend!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
pressure washer and water are our friend!!!

ive hit it with the pressure washer...its pretty much stained mud colored under there now
Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
ive hit it with the pressure washer...its pretty much stained mud colored under there now
the shape mine is in......im gonna get some primer and black paint under there to keep it from getting too bad., plus mud and crap will wash off alot easier then.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #20
Johnny_knox69 is on a distinguished road
Johnny_knox69's Tacoma Gallery
I am not 100% but I don't think that carbon steel is the problem. If you want corrosion resistance say from Salt you would probably want steel with Ni or some exotic metal in it....High grade stainless steel area.

All carbon steel will rust in a Ny Min with salt on it.

I would say like most the Jap cars, they trim the weight ect.. to a "T", one little slip on something like corrosion protection and your in trouble.

So it must be something with the coating. Just my guess.....