Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd 2nd generation v6 or Supercharged 1st generation double cab?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
yfz450admirer is on a distinguished road
yfz450admirer's Tacoma Gallery
4wd 2nd generation v6 or Supercharged 1st generation double cab?

Who has driven both of these vehicles? I am looking at the double cab versions.
How do they compare off-road performance and towing? Is there much of a difference? Will the naturally aspirated 2nd generation be basically the same performance?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
I haven't driven a 2nd gen or a SC'd 1st gen but from what i hear the v6 models(N/A) are about the same performance wise. So I think the SC'd 1st gen would be more powerful. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been under the impression that the 4.0 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3.4 in terms of power... Probably nowhere near the longevity though
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
4wd 2nd gen v6 supercharged FTW
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
more power with the s/c 3.4 (270 hp i believe) but more reliability with a n/a set up (imo of course)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
yfz450admirer is on a distinguished road
yfz450admirer's Tacoma Gallery
comparison

I have driven a 1st generation SC and it had tons of power. I would like to hear from people that have experienced both. I should just go to a dealer, but I don't want the drama of stepping on a car lot.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

i've driven my 07 access cab with a 6-speed and i just went for a ride in an 02 4-door sc'ed prerunner and i was thinking the whole time," how gutless!?"
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Zork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to all
Zork's Tacoma Gallery
never driven a S/C 1st Gen. but I have driven a 2nd Gen 4.0, and wasnt too impressed. The bigger body & weight of the truck eats up that 4.0.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven both and I prefer the 1st gen s/c. First off the 4.0 doesn't feel that powerful because it is electronic throttle, has a lag and doesn't that instant response, it hauls if you floor it of course. I like the 1st gen s/c because it has no lag "get up and go" and c'mon who doesn't love the s/c whine?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
4wd 2nd gen v6 supercharged FTW
this! ^

Best of both worlds
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
more power with the s/c 3.4 (270 hp i believe) but more reliability with a n/a set up (imo of course)
More like 220 hp. Never drove a SC Tacoma, but I had a 02 SC Frontier and my Tacoma 4.0 V6 is all over the Frontier.

Power to weight ratio would definitely be higher on the SC 1st gen, but a couple of tweaks on the 4.0 and I think that could be evened out. A set DTLT headers, a URD MAF calibrator and throttle calibrator and the 4.0 would probably come out on top.

That being said, I don't think either is a bad choice
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
guys the 6-speed makes all the difference
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
this! ^

Best of both worlds
Yeah IDK why this isn't considered an option lol. It will walk over either one
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
does the supercharger bring down the life of the engine?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
does the supercharger bring down the life of the engine?
Overall yes, however if you have a light foot, it wouldn't do too much damage. But if you like to floor it at every stoplight and build up boost, than yeah it will definitely shorten the life of your engine because it is putting extra stress on everything, including the tranny.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWhite13 View Post
Overall yes, however if you have a light foot, it wouldn't do too much damage. But if you like to floor it at every stoplight and build up boost, than yeah it will definitely shorten the life of your engine because it is putting extra stress on everything, including the tranny.
Yet, with proper maintence and proper boosting, it will wear things ever so slightly you might lose 50 miles over 300k... not worth mulling over.

If you keep the boost levels at safe opperating levels, keep the belts inspected/tensioned properly/spec'd, change and monitor your oil frequently and run good filters (send a sample to blackstone and hit up bobistheoilguy.com for input)... If you do this things and monitor wear closely you'll last forever.

Also not boosting while cold, not forcing it to hard shift or do undue stress, burnouts, ect... she'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
Slightly Sane
2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2 tacomas's Tacoma Gallery
I can't tell you the difference between Supercharged and NA engines, but I can give you a good apples to apples comparison.

I am on my 3rd Toyota Pickup. I've had a 1988 Toyota longbed Pickup (3.0L v6, 4wd, auto), a 2004 TRD-Offroad Tacoma (3.4L v6, 4wd, Xtra-cab, Auto) and now have a 2006 TRD-Sport Tacoma (4.0L v6, 4wd, Xtra-cab, Auto).

I have enjoyed all of my Toyota trucks however when it comes to comparing STOCK versions of the 3.4L and 4.0L engines- the 4.0L is much more powerful. This difference was very noticeable to me when I first went from the 3.4L to the 4.0L. My 3.4L never felt slow or underpowered and I greatly enjoyed that truck...however once I drove the 4.0L I immediately noticed a big difference in acceleration and power.

Bottom line....they are both good engines and if you take care of whichever one you have they will serve you well for years.