Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

truck starts then dies

Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
ericjames is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
ericjames's Tacoma Gallery
truck starts then dies

The truck started to have a slight hesitation only when cold and did not do it til I would start down the road.Well it got worse and finally would not stay cranked after started. I replaced the plugs,fuel filter,dist. cap and rotor. I pulled the return hose off the regulator and it has alot of gas flowing out of it. I put vice grips on the return hose and it stays running so out of curiosity I put a pressure gauge on that line with a valve behind it and fully closed it had around 80 psi. so I dont think it should be the fuel pump. I was just wondering if anyone might have a clue what it is before I start replacing stuff. I have already priced a regulator witch is what I thought it was said they could one in the morning
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
more info on your truck year, motor, miles.....
Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
sorry about that its a 1995 tacoma 4x4 2.7l with 150k
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the fuel filter?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you are getting a good healthy spark.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
If I close the valve a little and hold around 70 psi on the return line it runs perfect . I was gonna check the o2 sensors but they are not gonna come out easy,the nuts are about rusted off. I just cleaned the mass air and the throttle body. no change
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
1337 h4x0r
Sirlight is on a distinguished road

Sirlight's Tacoma Gallery
IACV?

If you hold the throttle till the motor is at normal op temp, what happens then? motor stay running ? any CEL's ?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
I took the o2 sensors out and cleaned them with carb cleaner and it works fine now not sure how it would have affected the truck so much . now I have a p0125 code but the thermostat gasket is leaking a lil bit I am going to fix that and see if that fixes it . Also anyone have a online service manual they could send me!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
1337 h4x0r
Sirlight is on a distinguished road

Sirlight's Tacoma Gallery
The link for the service manuals for our trucks is at the top of the main page stickied. Here it is

http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
i recently started having the same problem. the truck seems to want to quit as soon as it starts sometimes it actually does quit then is hard to get going again. cleaned the mass air but doesnt make a difference. i was just about to start a new thread but then i seen this,hope ya dont mind OP.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
I dont mind at all I need all the help I can get , I cleaned the upstream sensor it runs now but it still is not right.It still lacks the power it had but it runs still has the code p0125 from what i gather is the o2 , I guess I might go get a new o2 sensor tomorrow the had the up stream for $118 and downstream for $142.I know I could probably get one a little cheaper somewhere but I dont like to wait
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
ive got new o2 sensors so i know its not that. my cel isnt on, so i guess ill try changing the fuel filter its probably the same one since the truck was made anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
New upstream o2 sensor problme solved . but I have a new code P0420. I think it may be due to the fact that it has no cat. on it
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^nice. yah your definitly getting that code because of the missing cat, you can get rid of that with the URD simulator though.

i changed my fuel filter tonight hopefully it fixes me up.fingers crossed