1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air blowing out of rockerpanels

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by nutsnbolts, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jul 9, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts [OP] New Member

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    I just replaced an o2 sensor on my 96 Tacoma. I started the engine and crawled under to check for leaks and was surprised when air blew in my face from small holes at the bottom of the rocker panel. I found it coming from both sides and only when the heater fan is on. My truck is an extra cab so I thought this was ventilation for the back seat, but no air blows out inside the cab back there. Why does Toyota put air through the rockers?:confused:

2. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm having trouble following you. If I understand correctly, it sounds normal.

A lot of cars have some vents built in to help with the ventilation system. I know the 2005+ double cabs have a vent.

3. Jul 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    it does not happen with the air running?

4. Jul 9, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    nutsnbolts

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    It comes out of the holes anytime the fan is on and it is switched to outside air.

5. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    When on outside air, the cab is pressureised; the air vents out the cab back or in door vents (I can't remember where the vents are on 1st gens),but the vents don't have much surface area, so air still leaks out of the door handles, weather strips, anywhere it can, so some probably just leaks through the heater to firewall area, and some will always blow out the drain tube. Try putting system on outside air and open drivers window 2-3"; this will let most of the volume out, and only just a very little should vent out the rocker panels, if quite a bit still exits out the rockers; I would look for a damaged foam gasket where components bolt up to the firewall, either inside or outside the vehicle.

6. Jul 20, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    nutsnbolts

Member:
    pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Hi. I was on vacation for the last week and wasn't near my truck. Opening the windows does stop the air from blowing out. I never realized the cab was that pressurized. I also never knew that the rockers were open to the inside of the cab. I guess this will keep the inside of the rockers dry, Which may help prevent rust. Living in Pennsylvania that could be a plus. Thanks for all the help. Gary

Products Discussed in

To Top