Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck won't start. Rapid clicking noise.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
yep, had to hammer the starter on our old suburban..so ghetto
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
JBF is on a distinguished road
JBF's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try that, too. Should be able to borrow a voltage meter from work tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
JBF is on a distinguished road
JBF's Tacoma Gallery
Tried knocking on the starter this afternoon without any luck. Also cleaned up the battery terminals and when I tried starting it I saw some smoke coming off the negative terminal. What does that tell us?

Thanks again all for the help. I'm getting a lot of people saying battery and a lot saying starter/solenoid so I just want to try to at least eliminate the possibility that it's just the battery before taking it somewhere.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
take the battery to an autoparts store. they can test it to see if its bad. if you feel like pulling the starter out then they can test it too..
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
If it smoking from the negative terminal chances are the terminals are not tight enough. Remember high current requires tight connections.

Again possibility it's actually the starter relay. In the fuse box there is a group of five relays. There is a row of three on the bottom with two above. The center relay in the group of three in a line is the starter relay. If it's goofing up there might not be enough power going to the solenoid. Older truck though so it indeed could be the starter. Banging on it did not help though so it may not be that. That usually works at least once.

I did write out a few days ago how to test the starter relay with a meter. On a thread about Truck will not turn over.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
I had this happen on my 1st gen and was able to get it working again by disconnecting and cleaning the terminals where they attach to the starter and the ground strap where it attaches to the frame. Happened @ around 100,000 miles and it was still working when I sold it with 150,000. Cheap fix if it works.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Easiet way to test if its the starter:
Hook up jumper cables to a good battery. If it starts when jumped, get a new battery.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'll start this way:

Question:
--How are your electronics. Do they work?. Does the vehilce tick but the radio/interior & exterior lights work 100% normally?

#1. Check the connections then test the freakin battery anyway. (if you're getting lights and radio, you're getting power so your problem obviously lies elsewhere)

#2. The starter. You don't have to rip it out, quite yet. Find your starter. Get a smaller screwdriver...with a plastic handle...and arc your starter. Hows it sound? Whine? Probably should take that out now and get it tested. (More than likely the problem)

#3. Cover #'s 1 & 2 before you really start worrying about anything else.

Have a V6? I'd say test the Alt while you're at it, but the Alts on those things S.U.C.K.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #30
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
I had a ZR2 with a weak battery (same sound described ) with daytime running lights
when I pushed the emergency brake in, no DTRL and started right up
only did it a few times and got a new battery !!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #31
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
OP, sounds to me like it's the battery.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
You can't test a battery with a voltage meter. It will tell you nothing. You need a load tester. You want to test the current not the voltage. If two batteries can't start it it is probably not the battery.

Quote:
Just tried jumping it. No dice.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Had the EXACT same thing happen to me, it's the battery. Even though the battery would still hold a charge, it was just time to replace it it just couldn't crank enough juice out to turn over the motor. Went to Auto Zone, got a Duralast Gold which I have had excellent experience with in all my cars and boat, and picked up a new battery for $89. Just to be sure, they tested the battery and sure enough it just was just time to replace it especially after sitting years outside long Texas hot summers with no garage.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #34
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Whenever you were driving around before the problem occurred did you notice if the battery light lit up on your gauges?

Whenever I killed my alt I ran off the battery for like 40 min...battery light came on about 20 min prior to it completely draining itself (couldnt even roll up a window).

I know what those clicks sound like, and they suck!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #35
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ Mine NEVER came on, one day I just tried to start it and got the CLICK OF DEATH.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #36
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like every time I go wheeling and break something, somebody on this forum has the EXACT same problem THE DAY AFTER I come back from wheeling.

I took my Tacoma fording about 2' deep water and then up a hill with a giant lip that bounced my front end several feet in the air when I hit it, and after that starting the truck sounded like a low batt. so I disregarded it as I had my lights on parked for awhile. When I got home turns out something was up w/the starter because it clicked. I have a dual battery setup, and both seemed full after the 20 min. drive home, but I threw another battery on there anyways, and after a little hesitation it started (these engines can start with the tiniest crank from the starter - Go Toyota!). After shutting it off and restarting it 2 times it went back to normal.

Either the giant jolt messed with the starter, or the water did something to the terminals. Regardless, After a couple starts, it's totally back to normal.

Just thought I'd share because it was quite an odd experience.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #37
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
I'll add my vote for the battery.

I had the same thing as you. It wouldn't even take a jump from another truck. Had it towed to the shop where all they could find was a very dead battery. They said it probably had a broken plate inside (whatever that is)>
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #38
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
When someone asks where the starter is on their truck I think they need to take their vehicle to a shop and have a mechanic take a look at it.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #39
tacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of light

tacoman78's Tacoma Gallery
Check your starter...had this happen on a 68 super bee with a 440...that was embarrassing, having to load this beautiful car on a flatbed and haul it back to my shop...it was like being the lead car in a funeral procession...just so depressing. But $50 and 15 minutes later she was back up and running like a champ.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #40
tacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman78 is a glorious beacon of light

tacoman78's Tacoma Gallery
Not to thread jack...but here's a pic of the Super Bee after she was all fixed up and back in decent running order....oh and I'll throw in a pic of my other project in the shop.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?