Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear axle oil seal

Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
All you need to do is remove the axle that is leaking which is simple and then you will need to replace that seal and put the axle back in and put your brakes on and it done.
Music to my ears! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Newer Taco User
RedTaco02 is on a distinguished road
Army: 136th RTI
RedTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
They make seal press tools. You can get them from harbor freight for cheap. It might help reduce your labor costs. just a thought.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #23
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone know if the differential oil needs to be drained to replace the outer seals?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #24
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
in my 99 tacoma i had to replace the seal 3 times i dont know what was up with it but im not good with trucks so i had a mechanic do it
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #25
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Anyone know if the differential oil needs to be drained to replace the outer seals?
No, but you might lose some when you take out the axle shaft.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin626 View Post
No, but you might lose some when you take out the axle shaft.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #27

This repair is getting the best of me. After finally getting all the greasy sludge cleaned off of the brake parts......
-decided to replace the wheel cylinders
-will probably need new brake lines (corroded just enough at fitting to twist and kink when I loosened the line from the cylinder
-sprayed myself in the eye with brake fluid
-got the wrong oil seals (I think)
-broke the oil seal tool
-now I'm wondering how the hell to get the seal out and wether or not I should have even tried to make this repair.

For those of you that have done this before..........

O.k., that little gold ring inside the axle housing is the seal, correct? How the f*ck do you get it out? I broke the seal puller tool the 1st time I used it. I started this last weekend. I havn't been working on this all day everyday (obviously), but I would like to finish sometime soon. Any tips would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear axle oil seal-002.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i know i jumped into this thread a little late, but im gonna agree with you. alot of the seals i have seen, you can take the right sized deep socket and hammer them back in until they are where they are supposed to be.

x10. Thats the way to go.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #29

Bump with another picture if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear axle oil seal-002.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #30
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Your photos are giving me flashbacks of helping a friend this summer on a rear axle. That is the seal & I do not have any tricks but be careful not to ding the wall of the axle housing, dings and burrs are bad karma. Here is a photo I found online of the inner seal for your confirmation & also a good article from 4x4 wire which I visited religiously when I owned my pre-tacoma trucks.

Also if you doubt the part numbers, triple check to make sure they are right, especially if you bought aftermarket, the wrong items get pulled, too many numbers & not stocked correctly are the main culprits and you don't know if its a cross-referenced number. I'd order from a dealer to make sure & even then check. You do not want the wrong part here.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...axle/oil_seal/
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #31

Thanks xedge. So, after breaking a 2nd oil seal removal tool, I finally got that Mother F'n POS seal out of my GotDamned axle. I think it was the fancy language that finally lured that B!tch out. With any luck, I'll get this side back together tonight and maybe have a chance to break some more tools on the other side.......Yay!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #32
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Toy4Life,

You did not say how you finally got the seal out. Can't you simply take a standard flat tip screw driver and punch through the seal with a hammer, cutting the seal in half and remove it? Would that harm the axle housing?
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
ianc is on a distinguished road
Name: ian
ianc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i know i jumped into this thread a little late, but im gonna agree with you. alot of the seals i have seen, you can take the right sized deep socket and hammer them back in until they are where they are supposed to be.

Pvc pipe can be glue togeter in different configurations to ma a desirable install tool. Used on ford 300 cid industrial works great.

A install tool from manufacturer works best. I have used sockets and they work also.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #34
ianc is on a distinguished road
Name: ian
ianc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Your photos are giving me flashbacks of helping a friend this summer on a rear axle. That is the seal & I do not have any tricks but be careful not to ding the wall of the axle housing, dings and burrs are bad karma. Here is a photo I found online of the inner seal for your confirmation & also a good article from 4x4 wire which I visited religiously when I owned my pre-tacoma trucks.

Also if you doubt the part numbers, triple check to make sure they are right, especially if you bought aftermarket, the wrong items get pulled, too many numbers & not stocked correctly are the main culprits and you don't know if its a cross-referenced number. I'd order from a dealer to make sure & even then check. You do not want the wrong part here.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...axle/oil_seal/

I checked out the seal install thread. Only one question. It is about greasing the out side of the seal. Does seal manufacturer recomend that. Some recomend loctite on the seals. Some seal come with a green sealer already on seal, and some are ribbed plastic/rubber. Is is a bare seal and if so I guess grease would be OKay. Not criticizing just wondering.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
4wheeltoys is on a distinguished road
4wheeltoys's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread has been around for a while but just a quick Question.

My rear axle is leaking gear oil. So i want to replace the Oil Seal and O-Ring.

Do i have to remove the entire break drum to get to the bolts that hold the Axle shaft to the housing or do they go from the rear of the housing bracket.

What i mean is. can i take the axle shaft off with out removing the rear break drum. I know i have to disconnect the lines and parking break. But the actual drum i am not sure about.

I believe they are serration bolts. Which means they are like lug nuts. So im guessing the nuts on the back of the housing are the "lug nuts" and they go on the the stud.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #36
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
So where exactly on the axle are you saying it's leaking from?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #37
4wheeltoys is on a distinguished road
4wheeltoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin626 View Post
So where exactly on the axle are you saying it's leaking from?
wel its dripping down my tire so im guessing near the end of the axle shaft.

EDIT:
So i replaced the seal today. It seems to be ok. I am going to start looking for a full new rear axle. I want to start building my self one. That way i can simply pop this one in and BAM!!!! all problems solved. lol...

If any of you have sugestions i will be posting a thread about looking for a new axle when i get my housing
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
StaldineJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
StaldineJ's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for resurrecting a dead post guys -

My drivers side rear wheel has black, gunky slime coming from back by the drum brake. I suspect this is the issue. Is this do-able by someone with fairly average ability at home? This has been a crappy year for my Tacoma so far, new battery, new starter, and had some paint issues thanks to a lazy dude @ Maaco.

For years this truck has been nothing but reliable, but this year it is being a pain in the ass. I know the starter was not real fun to remove/install, but alright in the end. I've never messed with brakes before, so that is kind of scaring me at the moment. When you do this repair, do you have to bleed the brakes, etc?

I have a 2.7l 4x4 without ABS, what are the part numbers for the oil seal and o ring I need? I have no idea where to find them. I bought a repair manual thinking that kind of information would be in it but not so much, thanks Chilton...

I'm a graduate student that is about to have my first baby, so I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I have enough common sense to get problems taken care of before they escalate to big problems. Is this a job you guys would recommend just taking it into the dealership to get fixed? Or is it something I can do?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
TacoBlitz is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
TacoBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the process of replacing my outer seal right now, if you still have not figured it out... I just went to the auto parts store(Napa was the only one that had one it stock and did not have to order it) and asked for a rear outer axle seal. It does not seem like it is going to be to hard to do though.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
the oil leaking into the rear brakes is a common problem to the 1st gens. At least the 98 and 99 for sure. It is like $500 parts and labor for new bearings and seals. Either the bearing wear out and wobble the seals out or the breather gets clogged and the pressure forces the oil out. Either way it's no fun.

Toyota has a TSB concerning this common problem.

It is dangerous to have oil in the rear brakes.