1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 1st Tacoma build. It took me a month and 5k This truck was bone stock...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by whitaco, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    whitaco

whitaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD white with a touch of badass.
    K&N cold air, Harris throttle body spacer, westin bull bar, chrome mirrors, rainguards, bugflector, 20% tint. Borla cat back, weathertec, ome complete lift with dakar leaf packs, light racing UCA's and a toytec add an inch shackle, 33x12.5 15 BFG KM2's. Procomp 15x10's with 3.75" backspacing, carpet dash cover, tint visor, PIAA off road lights, aftermarket tail and headlights, smittybuilt nerf bars stainless
    Should I get a snorkel or just stick with my K&N cold air intake? Seriously guys? I love the look of that snorkel. Would I lose any performance by going with a snorkel over my cold air?

Anyways here's my truck (3.4 v6 trd). Many mods. Please comment :) I couldn't have done it without researching TW. I bought the majority from AutoAnything, Wheelers Offroad, Toyteclifts.com, and my local autozone. I love this site. Thanks guys!

Herculined bed with a design,
    K&N cold air,
    westin bull bar,
    chrome mirrors,
    rainguards,
    bugflector,
    20% tint.
    Borla cat back,
    weathertec,
    ome complete lift with dakar leaf packs and billy 5125's,
    light racing UCA's and a toytec add an inch shackle, 33x12.5 15 BFG KM2's.
    Procomp 15x10's with 3.75" backspacing,
    carpet dash cover, tint visor,
    PIAA off road lights,
    aftermarket tail and headlights,
    billet grill,
    smittybuilt nerf bars stainless.
    Highlift Jack soon to be mounted.

I need a roof rack, wet okole seat covers, maybe a snorkel, and a light bar to complete the truck; any offers?

IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg

2. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    Dude your 1st gen is straight badass man! For the snorkel i say go for it, the intake honestly doesnt do much IMO.

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air, Harris throttle body spacer, westin bull bar, chrome mirrors, rainguards, bugflector, 20% tint. Borla cat back, weathertec, ome complete lift with dakar leaf packs, light racing UCA's and a toytec add an inch shackle, 33x12.5 15 BFG KM2's. Procomp 15x10's with 3.75" backspacing, carpet dash cover, tint visor, PIAA off road lights, aftermarket tail and headlights, smittybuilt nerf bars stainless
    Thanks! Your truck is hella nice too!

4. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    If you're planning on going through ANY water AT ALL, then I would advise strongly against a cold air intake.

When I had mine, I went through a 4" puddle of water at around 25-30mph, and the water splashed up under the hood, soaked the filter, and bogged the engine pretty bad.

I just traded mine for a stock airbox, and the other day went through a 2' deep river with no problems ^_^. When I looked at the engine bay, the airbox was pretty much the only thing that was wet. Do note that the stock airbox has a built-in snorkel that lives in the pass. fender and extends the length of the fender. Sufficient for most fording.

5. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Very nice 1st gen. & reps for jumping into it with mods !!:D

6. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    clean... nice truck bro...

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    I have a trd cai and I would for sure switch out for a snorkel if i could afford it right now. It honestly just makes a nice sound IMO. My friend has one on his 1st gen taco. Let me see if i can find a pic for you.

8. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Very nice! Is that the toytec COs on the front? How much did you set them for to clear the 33s?

9. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    The snorkel sounds better than the CAI? I love the sound of rushing air at around 2500 RMP. Matched with the borla, you can't beat it.

Next month I will probably go ahead with the plunge for a Snorkel. 4"s of water won't be able to hurt my baby.

Thanks for the props 4wd!

10. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
  11. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not bad, not everything I would do but whatever suits your taste.

Wheel/Tire setup
    Off-road PIAA lights
    Borla Catback

Dislikes:

Black Bug sheild
    Chrome Billet grille
    Chrome handles
    Chrome mirrors
    Design in the Bed Liner???
    Did I mention too much chrome?

But hey like I said it's your truck what ever makes you happy is fine by me. Nice work overall.

12. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Digiratus. The coilovers in the front are the OME (Old man emu) 883 coils and I went ahead and put the baby spacer in for a bit of added clearance. I was advised not to but I wanted a bit more. Everything went together fine. I have not ripped any cv boots. The diff drop worked fantastic. I will be looking into a diamond plate skid though. The shims for the old skid are cheap. I will probably just manufacture my own plate to compensate for the diff drop.

The front is lifted about 3.5-3.75"s and the rear is 3.5. I needed to keep the factory rake because I pull a pop-up with firewood in the back and didn't want the gangsta look down the freeway.

13. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacotron, that truck is SICK!!! Between the SAS and the Snorkel and the roll cage. Damn! Thats money! It's final, I'm doin the snorkel.

14. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    Haha glad I could help you with your decision. Yeah I'm surprised that water even reaches up that giant thing. Good Luck!

15. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your honesty yamaha dave. I agree with too much chrome. Initially I wanted to paint it and the chrome would have looked perfect on the forest green.

In the future I may just spray paint the whole thing a combination of army green and flat black, just for you...lol That would be when it gets a bit more beat up though.

As for the bedliner, I just did it on a whim. Honestly you'd really have to see it in person to appreciate the design. It really does add to the overall look, feel, and application of my truck.

16. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Your CV axles are plotting your demise.

17. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I agree with Tim. 3.5" is a lot. In the long run maybe too much. The finns/ribs on my boots touched when I was bellow 3", even with the diff drop. Keep a close eye on them.

18. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Where do you intend on using a hi lift on your truck?

19. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Yuuup the 883s were never meant to be put on first gen tacomas.

I dont see how you needed 3.5" lift to fit 33s when people are fitting them with 2" lifts.

20. Sep 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    whitaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry about it. That's how I like it. lol Even with 3.5 inches of lift I still had to do a tiny bit of trimming so with just 2" of lift it would be tight. Too tight to bottom out the front suspension without rubbing.

The high lift is to change a tire off in the mud. You try changin a tire with your baby stock butterfly jack. I bought the extreme highlift jack that works as a winch, a clamp, and a jack. So if you can't think of a reason to have one of these on your truck. YOU ARE WRONG>no offense.

Why all the critics now. The truck runs great at all speeds. I have lifetime warranty on both cv's. If I end up with diff issues I will fix them and then take out the spacer. You guys are soo afraid of pushin your trucks to the max. That's the nice thing about being an ex mechanic. You can fix shit if you break it. Right? Don't worry about it :)

Products Discussed in

To Top