1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 won't engage to 4H

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Chewmanfoo, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Chewmanfoo

Chewmanfoo [OP] A guy with a truck

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 5spd 2.7
    Toolbox, TRD Sticker, Air freshener but its getting old.
    I have a 96 Taco with a 2.7, 5spd, and the Manual Lever style Transfer Case and Manual Hubs

When I attempt to shift to 4H (or 4L for that matter), if VERY easily moves the lever to 4H... almost to the point that it pulls it self to 4H if I move just barely outside the 2H location. Feels like nothing is happening with respect to the what the level is doing when going to 4H

At this point, it does not engage the Front wheels. yes, I've double checked that I have the Hubs locked. When "engaged" I can even craw under and freely rotate the front axle and half-shafts.

I'm new to Tacoma's so for those experienced ones, is there any shift linkages or vacuum lines that could be checked prior to pullin the whole case down to check that the Chain(gears?) are all okay within the box? The total lack of feel when shifting to 4H makes me think its not in the transfer case itself. Thanks in advance for any help! Let me know if I can help with any further symptoms.

I've seen some other posts around this... but they spent most of the post arguing whether the original poster had Manual or Push button 4WD.

2. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    biggdog747

biggdog747 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    taco
    sounds like you hubs are not locked in. if they were then you should not be able to spin the axles.

3. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Sound like it is inside the t-case, maybe a linkage issue. It is possible its the chain but could also be the linkage. It should not be 'easy' to move the lever. There should be some resistance to the lever movement.

btw: the first TRD package from Toyota appeared early in the '98 model year, approximately October/November 1997. Do you have an e-locker? I know they were an option before the 'TRD package' was available.

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Might be the Vacuum Solenoid that engages your 4wd, or the chain in the T-case. I know this couldn't cause it to get into 4H but did you ever change the oil in the T-case? Do you use 4wd often or rarely?

5. Sep 11, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    Chewmanfoo

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 5spd 2.7
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think there would be a vacuum solinoid on a manual shift T-Case, but i'll check it. Are the Linkages / Vacuum Soloid both inside the case, thus requiring me to drop it? OR, can I check some things with it still on the truck?

I just bought the truck, and the previous owner had put factory TRD stickers on the sides. I just recently found out thats false, I just haven't removed it from my profile. I'll admit I didn't fully test the 4wd, lesson learned there.

Also, I purposefully unlocked the hubs to test if Transfer would allow the axle to spin. Took the hubs out of the equation.

6. Nov 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Chewmanfoo

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 5spd 2.7
    Solved!!!

Dropped the case and pulled it open.

My going in Theory was that is was something to do with the shift fork or shift rod associated to the engagement of the Chain to drive the front wheels. This is due to its shifting behavior.

My theory was correct, we took the case apart from the back, not the front. (Took off the speedo gear shroud, then took off the entire backplate). From there I could see that the Fork was not broken, but was not where it was supposed to be. The result, there is a very tiny Pressure Pin which locks the fork stop into place. It had bent and fell out... and I found it in the bottom of the case.

Probably a $0.05 part... But I had also had to buy new gasket stuff, new quart of gear oil, and some time. Took about 4 hours total. All in all, happy with the low cost.

Tools needed... Sockets, long extensions, torque wrench, Phillips screwdriver, pry-bar, punches, hammer, Snap-ring pliers, Allen Keys, Jack/Hoist, RTV sealant.

A tip for those attempting to drop the Tranfer... it was REALLY easy to use a cherry picker from inside the cab and bolt it to the case to drop and re-install it. Easier than a jack from below. Be sure to have enough slack in the chain to go all the way up and down.

7. Nov 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    :thumbsup: Great to hear Man!

8. Nov 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Silver96

Silver96 Active Member

Member:
    Krimson- you mentioned changing the oil in the T-case. How often should the oil be changed? Is changing the oil easy to do? Thanks.

9. Dec 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Chewmanfoo

Member:
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco 5spd 2.7
    Even if you don't use 4x4 much, there is still a drive shaft spinning through it 100% of the time. With that, I can use my Jiffy Lube Technician expertize from 8 years ago to say they recommended it changed every 35,000. It is one of the easiest things on your truck to change and a 96 only holds ~1 quart.

-Remove drain plug
    -Drain
    -Replace drain plug
    -Remove Fill plug
    -Fill to fill plug limit
    -Replace Fill plug

All are easy access unless you ahve skid plates.

Products Discussed in

To Top