1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which trans do I have?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brelandt, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Need a new upstream O2 sensor. Found a Denso p/n 234-9001 on rockauto for $114. Searched it and saw it on Amazon for $96. I wanted to double check the part number to see if it will work on my truck, so I started to use the drop down menus they provided. Was doing fine until it asked me which automatic transmission my truck has "A43D" or "A34OE"?
    Not sure why they would need to know that for an O2 sensor?
    but I looked up the different trans online and I can not seem to get the info on which trans I have.
    Anyone know? My truck is a 2004 single cab prerunner with the 2.7 engine.

2. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    AlexXx

AlexXx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    All-Pro 3" Rear kit, Camburg Coilovers, 1" RB BL, 285/75/16's, and rear Lock Right locker Collecting 4wd parts to convert.
    A340E

Just so you'll know. All your drivetrain, trim, and gearing + vin is located on the white sticker in the drivers door jam. You see A340E on the bottom right of it.

3. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
  4. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
  5. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Thanks for the info guys. Had no idea the info was on my trucks sticker didn't think to even look there!:)

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
  7. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
  8. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Actually RockAuto lists both the 234-9001 & 234-9002 for the 2.7. The Toyota cross reference P/Ns they give says the 234-9001 is for California emissions & the cross reference P/n for the 234-9002 does not say anything about California emissions.

For the 3.4L RockAuto only lists 234-9001. When I searched around that's what everyone said was the correct one & is what I went with. It fixed my issue.

I don't totally trust Rock Auto for correct applications but I do trust RockAuto over Amazon since RockAuto lists Toyota Cross Reference P/Ns which I check with Toyota to make sure.

In the parts list it does not say the front o2 sensor is different for the 4cyl or 6cyl. It only lists different P/Ns for the rear. But the P/N it shows for the front o2 does not match what RockAuto lists but it is valid when searching with Toyota. Funny thing is this P/N does not state what vehicle it's for. The cross reference P/Ns from RockAuto do say they're for 01-04.

I guess all this would just add more to the confusion. :laughing:

9. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Well, rockautos has very poor discribtions. I had a 2000 Civic HX with a 5 wire O2 and when the O2 arrived it was a 4 wire. Nothing on rockauto stated that and all it claimed was that it fits the HX with a manual transmission. Anyhow, after that I don't trust them, however they did refund my money but it took 3 weeks.

10. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
  11. Sep 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Just what I needed...another source that claims yet another part number...LOL! I wish I had the dollars to just order both of them at the sametime! :confused:

I know it's the consumers job to insure the parts we are ordering are right. But I take my time to find which parts are what before I buy and still get them wrong. What will people think of the aftermarket industry when it comes time for the average consumer that expects the online store to have the correct information about their vehicles?
    Oh, well.....I hope when my part arrives it correct for my truck. I have a single cab and that might be what makes it a 9002 when the majority of the Tacomas are extended?

12. Sep 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    If there's any doubt, you can always pull the old one and find the part number on it. You'll have to pull the old one anyway, and its not like its working properly if you're replacing it. Even the smallest connectors have part numbers on them so I'm sure there's something on the o2 sensor.

13. Sep 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    LOL, I could find some more sources to add to the confusion! :p

Based on the info from RockAuto & Toyota I think I would have choose 9001 for your truck, the info from URD backs that up.

from what it looks like, it's not the engine size that makes them different, it's the trans type. On my 3.4L auto, the connector for the o2 mounts on the trans. So for a manual trans I it probably mounts in a slightly different location so the cable may be different lengths.

As long as the one you get is long enough, just tie the excess away if it's too long.

My stock o2 sensor was also Denso but the numbers were completely different than the 234-9001 that I got. Size & length of wire was all basically the same though.

14. Sep 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    oh great......LOL

Well, the only reason I went with the 9002 was because Amazon said that 9001 will not work and I figured they was right cause they at least asked which trans I had when Rockauto did not. I'm sure if I spent enough time and effort I could have found 6 other numbers that would work! But I think that 2 or 3 source ought to be enough for one part?

15. Sep 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature

The current number may be different, but you can always cross reference current part numbers with old ones and come up with an OE replacement, specially if you know the brand you want.

Denso makes it really easy. I pull out the old sensor (or look up the oem number), go to http://www.densoaftermarket.com/catalog/cross-reference.php?cross=Oxygen+Sensor and type in the number of my sensor and it tells me exactly what one to replace it with. In my case, the OEM number is 89467‑35060, which pulls up 234-9001. Pretty simple and no guess work. Pretty much every aftermarket place has something like this, as do most outlets like napa, checker, autozone, etc. (I have a different engine and VIN, so you cant use my results)

If you want to find the OEM number for parts, either pull it off, or look it up on toyodiy.com (make sure you enter your vin and not just select the info)

16. Sep 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    thanx for all the info. good web sources. :)

17. Sep 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    OK guys just a quick update. My Denso came in today and I ran to my truck to install it. The first thing I looked at was the length of the wires and it matched perfectly! The old one came out easily enough and the new went right on with no problems. Started the truck up and wow, the first thing I noticed was that the harsh vibrations was gone. Felt nice and smooth. Didn't drive it yet and my check engine light is still on but I figured that will go out in time.

18. Sep 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Probably won't if it comes on right when you start the truck. It needs to be reset. I assume your truck should be the same as my 01, with the key off, pull out the ECU fuse in the under hood fuse box & put it back in, it will reset the check engine light.

19. Sep 23, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    yep it does. I'll have to yank out the fuse then. Thanks :cool:

20. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    brelandt

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    OK searched for the ECU fuse in the fuse box under the hood and of course there wasn't one. Refered to the manual and it tells me nothing. So I pulled the OBD fuse and the light was still on. Then I pulled the 20 amp on for the EFI and that seem to do the trick as the light is now off. It use to set right back to "on" as soon as it started in the pass when I cleared the codes with the scanner my friend had. So this seems to have fixed my p1135 code.

Products Discussed in

To Top