1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deck plate vs. big ass hole

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vegetopia, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    i see that, does it come with all the screws as well. i don't do a lot of highway driving am I going to benefit from this mod?

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road SR5 Double Cab 6.0L 6MT
    Yes, in hard core emissions states, and also if your truck is running poorly as it is, I can see it being a factor.

it gives increased throttle response, so you'll notice it down low too. If not, you're out $12... I think it comes with everything, but I'm not sure. You don't really need the screws though. You could just use some PVC glue or silicone or something instead. or you could buy some screws from your local home depot. just order it and see what it comes with. if you need something extra, a hardware store is around the corner, im sure.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    It might have a tendency to lean it out , on carburated engines would surely lean it out not quite sure about injected but I'm thinking it probably would a little...

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    come on guys, let's not be so obtuse with this...

these are obd2 vehicles, equipped with an onboard computer that is constantly deciphering signals being sent from your MAF, o2 sensor, and all the other sensors in your engine, and adjusting fuel trims and timing according to a variety of contributing factors. Heat, load, airflow, etc.

The amount of additional air flowing through the MAF is probably akin to driving your truck on a cold day or something, where the air is just slightly more dense than when it's hot and your truck feels just a little bit more fun to drive. We're not compressing air and tricking the MAF into thinking its seeing more air than it is so that it forces the ecu to dump more fuel. We're not adding so much air that the ECU can't compensate for the addition and add fuel as a result. There is no way that the deck plate mod could possibly lean out your mixture. Nothing short of a wideband o2 map proving that I'm wrong will convince me that I am.

The ecu is more than capable of reading and adjusting your AFR based on the additional amount of air coming in through the hole in the intake box.

Would you remove your CAI before you took your truck to get it emissions inspected? I doubt it. But again, the beauty here is that you can just screw in the plate if you're that worried about it, and you're back to stock.

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    If this were true, if the ecu was not able to compensate added fuel for the increased airflow generated by the deck plate, we would not be seeing +5hp on the dyno. You can't make more power with more air alone, you have to have the fuel to go along with it.

so, there's no way trucks are running lean with a deck plate.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Very well said. X2 ^^^^

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Dude, I said I wasn't sure of the implications of "more air" in an EFI system I was more certain about the effects it would have on a carburated system , & by your own observation wouldn't you need the extra air to combust the extra fuel being introduced & vice-versa & I would think that just by the very nature of the EPA & Clean Air Resource Board (here in CA anyway) & the narrow parameters to meet emissions standards that there isn't alot of levity for the ECU to just arbitrarily "dump" extra gas into the mix because of an influx of added air it sensed thru the intake. I didn't see where anyone implied that more air alone would increase HP nor will a "leaned out" system create more HP, maybe I missed it

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    thanks.

I understand it's not a big deal to do this. I guess what I didn't understand is just how strict CA emissions are.

If this is true, I take back everything I have said about Toyota engineering being spot on. To think that this truck, built for utility and economy, is coming out of the factory running rich, is just ridiculous and unacceptable.

And also, if it were true, and the truck was running rich, adding more air and leaning it out a tad would only make you MORE likely to pass emissions testing! The computer is looking for as close to a stoichiometric AFR as possible; 14.7:1 Running 13:1 would obviously influence your ability to pass, as would running 16:1. So if the ecu can't compensate and it leans out, then all the better for you in your ability to pass emissions.

#1 I wasn't picking on you, I'm just talking. #2 You are correct that without adjusting your fuel screw on a carburetor engine, adding more air will cause you to lean out. #3 I DID say you need air AND fuel to create more power. I was saying that if the ECU CANNOT adjust fuel trims to balance out the added air introduced by the deck plate mod, we would not be seeing gained HP on the dyno from it.

The ECU doesn't care what state you live in. It's job is to hit target AFRs. That's all. Toyota engineers wrote code to that effect, so it does have the ability to pull timing, adjust fuel trims, etc. to get to as close as possible, that target AFR that Toyota set, whatever it may be. If the ECU cannot hit those targets with the introduction of a new variable (i.e. added airflow) then 1 of 2 things is wrong. 1) Toyota engineers are idiots, or 2) something on your truck is broken. Period.

The long and the short is this. If you live in a state like CA or MA, use the deck plate. Screw it back in before your emissions test. You're golden.

How this thread started was me being curious as to whether or not people are seeing even more gains from just cutting out the front of the air box completely or if the 4" hole for the deck plate is sufficient. In Texas, we do have emissions testing, but it's not as stringent as CA. Couple that with the fact that I don't offroad, well I was curious to see if I could get more out of it. The consensus seems to be that the deck plate is enough.

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Honestly, I couldn't be absolutely, positively certain that I gained anything from doing the deck plate mod. However after disconnecting my battery cable and letting the ecu try and re program itself I think I do feel a bit more oomph in the lower rpms.
    I cant be certain.
    The only way to find out is dyno runs and I have yet to see anything on paper comparing the two.
    my 2 cents.

10. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    you guys are way over thinking this...

11. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    care to elaborate?

and besides, if nothing else, this is a great way to waste some time at work :D

12. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    you could have a 12" hole and it wouldn't be any better than a 4 inch hole. You're maximum diameter for air is only as big as your smallest opening in the whole air intake system. For instance, your intake channel/hose whatever is only about 4 to five inches in diameter. That is the bottleneck so anything larger than the rest of the air intake system is useless.

13. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    and if by any chance a 4" hole wasn't enough, there is still the factory routing that would more than cover then difference

this just allows a quicker intake of air....it's not necessarily going to be colder etc

just alows an easier injestion of air than having to route it through the stock system

14. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Details are king.

Yes, I am fully aware. Thanks for the input.

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    It has been dyno'd and proven, but I don't have the data handy. It is probably somewhere on this site, and I think chris 4x4 knows it off the top of his head, and may have the curves. I think it is maybe 8hp, give or take, on the 3.4.

16. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

No worries Bro' I get what your sayin'... :D

Although there is usually something (albiet small) askew on my truck & sometimes I do think the Toyota engineers are idiots ....:D:D

17. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I think there is something askew with you, dude!

18. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    dagul

dagul Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 RR SR
    Gadget Online

19. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Haha ! No shit huh, :D:D

Who the hell would put 1st gen. Tundra 5100's on a 1st gen. Tacoma anyway ?? :eek::eek::D

20. Sep 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    :cheers:

Products Discussed in