1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle Pos Sensor/Accelerator Pos Sensor Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HawaiianBrian, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian [OP] Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    04 Xtra Cad TRD 4x4
    My 04 Tacoma 6 cyl(5VZ-FE) has been having issues. I noticed a intermittent
    lack of response from the engine when pressing the gas pedal.

Retrieved Error Codes:

p2135 throttle/pedal/pos a/b voltage correlation
    p0122 A low input
    p0123 A High input
    p0222 B Low input
    p0120 A circuit

Purchased an installed new TPS, cleared codes, reset ECM.

Check Engine light still on. Read codes again, same codes.

Now I don't get response from throttle until pedal is almost to the floor. When I manually move the accelerator cable there is a bunch of movement in the cable before the throttle replies.

I had a local mech look at it before I got into it...he said I needed a new throttle body...seemed a bit drastic to me so I wanted to look at it myself.

Any Ideas?

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 2:15 AM
    HawaiianBrian

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    04 Xtra Cad TRD 4x4
    So I've been doing some research online and found a forum discussing issues with the 2004 6 cyl throttle body. Does anyone else know about this?

I'm new here so forgive my ignorance...I'm not a mechanic by any means but money is tight right now and I need my truck. I was suspicious of the mechanic I took it to who said I needed a new throttle body, but maybe that's what is needed. Rather than throwing money away on this sensor and that sensor...perhaps a second opinion with a local mechanic wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again for any help.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 2:16 AM
    HawaiianBrian

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    04 Xtra Cad TRD 4x4
  4. Sep 16, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Do you know why he felt you needed a new throttle body? Is there a mechanical defect in it or a spring or motor thats broken?

At this point, I think I'd go through the throttle body checklist to make sure everything is functioning since the mechanic said it needs a new one. I assume that you went through as to why you replaced the TPS

I think since you replaced the TPS already, it may be pointing more towards a short between the TPS and the ECM (or the ECM itself), or maybe even just a corroded connector. Not really a lot of choices when it comes to this error code.

I dont think your issue is the same as the other issue since theirs seems to be more of a random occurrence. Their issue may be related to TPS (although likely more of a ECM programming error), but since they aren't throwing any codes, I wouldn't consider it the same problem.

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

I have to agree with Malaan on this.

I did see this and it kind of stuck out like a sore thumb. You may just have a bad ground.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    mwilkerson

mwilkerson Member

Member:
    El Paso Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner trd
    Does your truck have ETCS-i? if so try disconnecting the battery for 60 sec.If that does not do it make shore the sensor is installed so the throttle cam is moving the sensor cam.You can install it so the two cams do not match.

7. Jan 6, 2024 at 9:37 PM
    Ž@¢K

Ž@¢K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4dr Prerunner 4wd conversion
    6”rough country lift, 35” bfg mud terrain, step bars, home made solid 5" bull bar frame mounted top and bottom with gussets ( used an excavator to completely suspend the truck in the air held only by the bull bar), 180k, no rust, no leaks, no cel's, no issues. 4wd conversion with front and rear e-lockers.
    I wish this thread came to a conclusion.. mine started doing the same thing.. i replaced the tps and it went from no throttle response to just the last half of the gas pedal doing something and it upshifts hard as hell into any gear. So i tested all the tps wires back to the ecm and all showed .1 Ω give or take .3.. then tested the pins on the ecu and it was not giving any of the voltage readings the service manual said I should be getting, was all either zero or a little above zero volts.. so i was able to find the exact same ecm that i have in the truck but that only got rid of the p0122 and p2135 but still have a p0222 code which relates to the vct2 or vtc2.. the violet wire.. havent replaced the tb because both the motor and accel pos sensor test out perfect as well as motor clutch. The ecm just disables the motor if the code is present.. so I’m stuck. Could have a bad new tps sensor i guess but apart from that i have no clue.. the service manual gives an Ω reading between the vc pins but says nothing about testing the vc2 pins on the sensor.. which is where my issue is .. guess it should read same as the vc pins but dunno.. the tb is squeaky clean, gears are fine inside that the tb motor uses, it will read 7% at idle or not pushing the throttle and will read 57% when floored. Which it used to read 72% when it ran ok.. could just be out of adjustment but like i said I’m stuck.. ready to sell the damn thing.. ive had to replace every last thing on the truck except the motor and guts, transmission and diff.. everything outside of that is new and works.. now its the tb..

8. Jan 6, 2024 at 9:45 PM
    Ž@¢K

Ž@¢K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4dr Prerunner 4wd conversion
    6”rough country lift, 35” bfg mud terrain, step bars, home made solid 5" bull bar frame mounted top and bottom with gussets ( used an excavator to completely suspend the truck in the air held only by the bull bar), 180k, no rust, no leaks, no cel's, no issues. 4wd conversion with front and rear e-lockers.

Products Discussed in

To Top