Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Taco sold to me with a 149k km. Turns out it's 149k miles. What can I do?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
Taco sold to me with a 149k km. Turns out it's 149k miles. What can I do?

I was sold a 2001 doublecab under the impression there was 149k kilometers on the odometer. Had it inspected and everything beforehand. Now after 2 weeks and a $1000 dollar garage bill, they tell me it's an american truck and the odo is in miles. So i paid $13,200CAD (plus repairs) for a truck that has a Kelley blue book value of $7,280 in mint condition. The guy who had the truck before me bought it from a dealership within the last month or so. I guess he was under the impression the odometer was KM. Either way I have been lied to.

Somebody please tell me there is some sort of action I can take.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
physical violence!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
i'd be pissed!!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Fake your own death. Stay hidden for the next 5 years. Just when the former owner starts feeling comfortable, go to his house, and kill him by chaining him up to a track, that has spinning drill bits slowly inching towards his face.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wow, all really good answers. that helps so much.

/end sarcasm
Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineTacoDriver View Post
Fake your own death. Stay hidden for the next 5 years. Just when the former owner starts feeling comfortable, go to his house, and kill him by chaining him up to a track, that has spinning drill bits slowly inching towards his face.
You've been watching too many SAW movies haven't you? LOL
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
i'm sure there's recourse since it's false advertising...especially if you have something in writing from the seller about it having 149k km
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
You've been watching too many SAW movies haven't you? LOL
Haha, actually I was watching 'Stan Lee's Superhumans' on the History Channel, they had some guy that escaped from some rig set up like that. Made me feel like it was appropriate action to take in this situation.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
ad is proof, you got screwed. they legally have to take it back for false advertising
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
All OEM All Japanese All The Time!
Taco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Taco2K10's Tacoma Gallery
if it was a private sale you have little recourse, if it is a dealer used or new they should have to be part of an association and abide by certain codes of conduct....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
just print that ad asap and save it somewhere before it gets changed or removed

edit just for reference for everyone wondering....

149 000 kilometers = 92 584.3076 miles
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
What did the seller say about buying it from a dealer or selling it general?
Did you get it checked out before you bought it?
Those prices are what made me buy new.
Sorry to hear this happened to you & do not know CA law etc.
Hope you can get some $$ back, but dunno. I get stuff checked even if its a couple of grand.
Unless I personally know the seller, people forget things...ie. lie!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
I don't mean to sound harsh & that sucks what happened but it is also up to the buyer to check these types of concerns.

If a vehicle is to be sold to a market the uses km instead of mi, the speedometer on that vehicle should primarily display speed in kmh and many times would display mph as a secondary in a smaller font. Like US vehicles, mph is the primary display & kmh is displayed as secondary in a smaller font.

For example, Tacoma for CADM:

USDM Tacoma

Notice the primary displays between the two. That should have been a dead giveway.

Have you tried contacting the seller? Was going to ask if it was a private party but it sounds like it was? Chances are if he was mislead as you were then I wouldn't really say the prev seller is 100% at fault & I would contact the dealer. Doesn't hurt to try.
Attached Thumbnails
Taco sold to me with a 149k km. Turns out it's 149k miles. What can I do?-cndn.jpg   Taco sold to me with a 149k km. Turns out it's 149k miles. What can I do?-interior_image2.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
just print that ad asap and save it somewhere before it gets changed or removed

edit just for reference for everyone wondering....

149 000 kilometers = 92 584.3076 miles
x2 CYA
Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
ad is proof, you got screwed. they legally have to take it back for false advertising
+1
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Resident MMA Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
What did the seller say about buying it from a dealer or selling it general?
Did you get it checked out before you bought it?
Those prices are what made me buy new.
Sorry to hear this happened to you & do not know CA law etc.
Hope you can get some $$ back, but dunno. I get stuff checked even if its a couple of grand.
Unless I personally know the seller, people forget things...ie. lie!
Guy who sold to me bought this truck from the dealership. In August.
Yes, my dad had it taken to a garage and given the "good" inspection.
The garage told me there was a cracked bracket on the gas tank to be replaced, and while we were at it replaced the front balls joints. Now after doing the work (today), they also found out the odo is in miles. which reads 149k. That's 239792km.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Resident MMA Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh & that sucks what happened but it is also up to the buyer to check these types of concerns.

If a vehicle is to be sold to a market the uses km instead of mi, the speedometer on that vehicle should primarily display speed in kmh and many times would display mph as a secondary in a smaller font. Like US vehicles, mph is the primary display & kmh is displayed as secondary in a smaller font.

For example, Tacoma for CADM:

USDM Tacoma

Notice the primary displays between the two. That should have been a dead giveway.

Have you tried contacting the seller? Was going to ask if it was a private party but it sounds like it was? Chances are if he was mislead as you were then I wouldn't really say the prev seller is 100% at fault & I would contact the dealer. Doesn't hurt to try.
DUDE THIS IS THE FIRST THING I SAID TO MY DAD. How did no one notice this? The KM should be big, and the miles should be small.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
bphillipsaz is on a distinguished road
bphillipsaz's Tacoma Gallery
In the ad I see it says 'Kilometers 149' one would assume 149k kilometers...but it doesn't seem like the ad would stand up legally as proof of anything other than a typo.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
There is a lower ball joint recall on the 01-04